I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Grip Poll
Posted by: Steven Corvin (---.lightspeed.brhmal.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 15, 2018 09:08AM

Being newbies to the hobby and having and having no friends who share the intrest, we glean most informative questions from this forum. I know people like different grips for different applications. But if you had to choose one overall grip material what would it be and why?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Grip Poll
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (107.77.111.---)
Date: May 15, 2018 09:30AM

Carbon, durable, lightweight when made properly and the most efficient for vibration transmission for my needs

Posted by: Scott Appley (---.glt-wy.client.bresnan.net)
Date: May 15, 2018 09:55AM

I'm also new to the sight and have done 3 rods with Winn grips and I and everyone else love them. I've gone back and put the Winn tape on most of the worn cork grips that I have and really like the look and feel of tape. I would like to try the carbon soon though.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 15, 2018 10:37AM

Carbon fiber is, overall, arguably the superior material on multiple counts.

However, I admit to being a stuck-in-the-mud traditionalist and favor cork, especially cork rings cut to 1/8", stained, and finished with Tru-Oil - what some call "faux birch bark". I know, it's old school perhaps to a fault. But who knows; I might yet join the 21st century!

Posted by: Tony Boschi (---.craigtechinc.com)
Date: May 15, 2018 10:50AM

Good Question!

"Traditionalists" love the cork!
EVA comes in SO MANY colors which is a selling point. They also make them in very large inside diameters which is what I use for my larger diameter beach rods.
Winn Grips are great in colder and wet conditions, lots of grip and no slip and people love the look and feel. Winn Tape is also a great wrap for my smaller diameter beach rods.
Carbon Fiber would make someone stop and look when they would not ordinarily stop and look at a rod at a show!

I cannot choose between any of them as they all have their place.

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.211.40.162.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: May 15, 2018 11:13AM

Tony said it best; each has its place. My preference goes to the type of rod and the type of fishing the rod will be used for. If I'm building for a customer; I build what they want. I like cork for the best all around material. Foam is softer and is much more user friendly in cold conditions. I like the carbon for the light weight and the vibration qualities. A lot of my customers prefer the Winn grips but it isn't on my favorite list. I don't have much experience with wood so can't offer much of an opinion. Oddly, I've just completed the handle on a 12' surf rod that is nothing more than heat shrink over diamond wrapped nylon cord. They all have a place in the arsenal.

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-174-207-15.myvzw.com)
Date: May 15, 2018 11:31AM

Cork is to fishing rods like leather is to cowboy boots.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: May 15, 2018 01:24PM

I agree with John Cates comment. While cork is more expensive than EVA, it feels great, last a life time, if not abused, and looks great too. I've not used a Winn Grip on a rod.

I have only done one carbon fiber grip, at a clients request, and he returned several months later and ask me to replace it with cork. Apparent he was casting a large plastic worm on a bass rod and almost threw the rod off the boat and into the water. It was just too slick for his liking. Plus carbon fiber grips are the most expense grip you could install.

Just my two cents!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2018 01:26PM by Donald R Campbell.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 15, 2018 02:41PM

Cork or carbon fiber. Golf grips, well never mind! Keep in mind that although highly opinionated, I'm a hobby builder.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 15, 2018 02:44PM

I have never found a carbon skinned grip to be "slick." In fact, they are much "grippier" than just about anything else. You really have to relax your grip in order to just move the thing around in your palm. I wonder what shape was involved, shape being the primary contributor to whether or not something is hard to hang onto or not.

Cost for such grips that you make yourself shouldn't run more than about $2 to $5 per grip, although you do have the time element involved when making your own and you generally have to buy enough supplies at the outset to make several grips.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.jst.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: May 15, 2018 04:48PM

I still choose cork for my personal rods ! Lots of interesting colors and patterns available. Matches up well with birch bark rings for a good looking and good feeling grip!
Rog

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 15, 2018 08:36PM

Everyone has an opinion as to what material they like for a grip. I have used cork, EVA, carbon fiber, and Winn grips. They all work very well, My favorite is carbon fiber, but very few people I build for have the same opinion. I have a number of rods with different types of grip material which allows the person I’m building for to pick the type of handle they want. Over the past few years the overwhelming favorite has been the Winn grips, in various styles and colors. Many like them so much that I have retro-fitted Winn grips on their other rods. Second choice is corks, with carbon fiber, and Eva bringing up the rear. There is nothing wrong with any of them, it just a matter of what you like, vs what someone else likes. This is just one of the things that makes a custom rod custom.
Norm

Posted by: steve schuster (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: May 16, 2018 03:35PM

For saltwater rods, hypalon with X Flock heat shrink cover.

Date: May 17, 2018 09:18AM

After reading everyone's views I have decided to try a carbon fiber grip on a 6'6" high mod worm rod. My question, do the ready made CFX grips from Mud Hole need a sealer on them or are they ready to go out of the package?

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 17, 2018 10:20AM

The CFX grips are pretty much ready to go, they have a matte black finish. If you want a little more shine to them use a couple of coats of Permagloss. You apply the Permagloss with a saturated foam brush while the grip is turning. It is very easy to do and only takes a few minutes. If you don’t have a lathe you can use a cordless drill, with the grip mounted on some sort of mandrel. Can apply additional coats within 30 min.
Norm

Date: May 17, 2018 11:36AM

Thanks to all who replied!

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.90.---)
Date: May 17, 2018 04:10PM

A grip poll huh , OK , my rods all have a very pronounced X Grip style handle ( Opposite of X Flock) because i find them extremely grippy and durable . I wrap thick cord under high tension , solidify it overnight and apply shrink the next day . There is an image in the photos section if you can find it , somehow i can't . It's there somewhere though lol.

Another top choice is cork of course , NOT the low grade spongy garbage i'm talking top notch Flor grade stuff . Never had a chance to check out carbon fiber but i am interested , it does look exceedingly slick though but Tom said it's not and Tom happens to be a trustworthy fellow .

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 17, 2018 09:06PM

Carbon fiber skinned grips are no "slicker" than wooden hammer handles and those have stood the test of time in all sorts of weather and conditions. Hundreds of thousands of carpenters over a few centuries seemed to find them easy enough to grip.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 17, 2018 10:20PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Everyone has an opinion as to what material they
> like for a grip. I have used cork, EVA, carbon
> fiber, and Winn grips. They all work very well, My
> favorite is carbon fiber, but very few people I
> build for have the same opinion. I have a number
> of rods with different types of grip material
> which allows the person I’m building for to pick
> the type of handle they want. Over the past few
> years the overwhelming favorite has been the Winn
> grips, in various styles and colors. Many like
> them so much that I have retro-fitted Winn grips
> on their other rods. Second choice is corks, with
> carbon fiber, and Eva bringing up the rear. There
> is nothing wrong with any of them, it just a
> matter of what you like, vs what someone else
> likes. This is just one of the things that makes a
> custom rod custom.
> Norm

X2. Right on Norm !!

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-174-207-16.myvzw.com)
Date: May 18, 2018 10:45AM

Cork is to fishing rods as leather is to cowboy boots.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster