I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Re: Seriously, how light is a POINT Blank??
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 12, 2018 01:23PM

Maybe my rods will float! Just don’t have the guts to throw them over board to find out.
Norm

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.90.---)
Date: May 12, 2018 02:50PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe my rods will float! Just don’t have the
> guts to throw them over board to find out.
> Norm

Floating rods are overrated imo Norm , sure, a floating rod is very desirable but i think the key here and the more important part that is being overlooked is to find a way to somehow keep the rods on board the boat . If you can come up with a plan to maintain control of the rod instead of always having to pull anchor to go look for them the need for a floating rod becomes less of an issue.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 12, 2018 06:17PM

Shocked at meeting me? Me too. I've never been to the IRCBE.

The facts about a floating rod and reel outfit are that the weight of the water displaced by the whole outfit must be heavier than the weight of the outfit. It the weight of the water displaced is less than the weight of the outfit, the outfit will sink. Like a boat. While a light blank is part of the "equation," it is not the controlling factor. The outfit could weigh 5 pounds, and if it displaced more than 5 pounds of water, it would float. So how does one design a fishing outfit that will float? Use a light blank (but consider that the difference between light blanks (like Point Blank) and other quality blanks of the same action and power is a few tenths of an ounce. Use a light reel and components, and lots of cork, and it will float. It will float if the weight of the water it displaces is more than the weight of the outfit. Keep adding cork until it floats.

Having said all this, Point Blanks are right now my favorite blanks. I don't mean to diminish their qualities

Date: May 12, 2018 07:39PM

Yep, my boat weighs over a 1000 pounds and floats like a boat. Has something to do with water displacement. Many years ago I dropped a rod over board and it sank like a rock, I have also dredged a number of rods off the bottom while fishing, so not all rods float. Again has something to do with water displacement and not weight. LOL Point Blanks are also my favorite blank. I now own 8 personal Point Blank Rods, 3 spinning and 5 casting. I have also made a number more for friends and friends of friends and they all love them. I tried my first one several years ago based on Jim Ising’s recommendation. He was spot on, they are great blanks.
Norm

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 13, 2018 08:01AM

We covered all this in an article in RodMaker a couple or so years back, and showed how to make nearly any rod float by reducing weight and maximizing displacement. Most well made bass rods will float - it is the addition of a reel, which in nearly no case will displace enough water to overcome its weight, that creates the larger problem.

I'm hoping guys are joking when they talk about putting helium inside the rod blank. That won't increase displacement and therefore wouldn't aid floatation.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr01.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 13, 2018 08:21AM

If helium replaces something heavier than helium it will make the outfit lighter (infinitesimally so in the case of its replacing air) and therefore it will take less water to be displaced in order to float the rod. In effect the density, therefore the weight, of the outfit becomes less. Think of using something like lead to put inside the rod. It won't affect the displacement, but it will affect the density/weight and therefore the bouyancy. Of course I agree that filling the rod with helium will have no practical effect, but in principal, in theory, there is a difference between a fill of helium and a fill of air.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: May 13, 2018 08:25AM

Tom, you just spoiled my idea..i was going to pack cork-dust dust up my rod-butt to get more floatation..lol.

Date: May 13, 2018 08:51AM

A little serious lightness is good.
Norm

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 13, 2018 08:57AM

As Norm and others have said if an object displaces more water, in weight, than it weighs, it floats. Think I saw a Seeker React bass rod video some years ago where they were showing their rods were so light, with a casting reel attached, that they would float.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: May 13, 2018 09:33AM

LOL! it took me a minute Norm..

Date: May 13, 2018 10:12AM

Yes there is a difference, but in this case due to the amount we're talking about, there is no practical difference. This is all covered in the article, which was quite extensive.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 13, 2018 11:29AM

Hello Tom.

Do you mean "Rod Floatation It's About Displacement"?

It's in Volume-17, Issue-1, Pages- 22 thru 27.

Interesting.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: May 13, 2018 11:43AM

Yes.

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.90.---)
Date: May 13, 2018 12:23PM

If i ever obtain a boat i will certainly be purchasing a floating rod but not right away. The reason is because at this point i have been able to contain my rods inside the boat which is not easy as we all know , i mean sure iv'e had a few rods attempt to break loose and float but none have been able to make it over the side completely.

If you have a rod or rod's that enjoy floating i would sit down with the violators and make it very clear that there is no escape and future attempts at floating may result in serious injury up to and including death. Well at least thats what i do and i can proudly say that i have no floating rod issues..

Posted by: Ernest Horvath (---.lightspeed.rlghnc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 13, 2018 04:44PM

Sorry Michael Danek, I thought you were Another Mike from the NERBS Just a little more info. There is no extra cork on the rod. They are the standard Anglers Resource cork grips. BGKS17C, BGK485, andRGSK1617RC. I didn't try to build the rod to float. I just build the Rods as lite as possible. There ability to float is just an added bonus or pure luck...

Date: May 13, 2018 06:13PM

The lighter the outfit, the less displacement is needed to make it float. Some careful thought, as outlined in the article, can be employed to float most freshwater outfits without creating a rod with overly large grips, etc.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 13, 2018 10:46PM

Ernest Horvath Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I thought you were Another Mike from the NERBS

SurfisherMike?

Posted by: Ernest Horvath (---.lightspeed.rlghnc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 14, 2018 07:05AM

Yes, Billy Surfisher Mike. He is a very knowledgeable person. I enjoyed talking with him.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: May 14, 2018 11:54AM

Maybe I shouldn't have put the word "seriously" in the title of this post. lol

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr01.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 14, 2018 10:29PM

Ernest, I didn't mean the rod had "extra cork," or any judgment on the design of the rod, only that the rods I build, for lighter duty fresh water fishing, have much less cork. Therefore they displaces less water. And would, therefore be less likely to float. In spite of being very light. This string has really been interesting, a mix of jest, facts, physics, myth, and NIH. I'm sure you, Jim Ising , have enjoyed seeing it unfold.

Maybe someday I'll get to the show and we'll meet, Ernest.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster