I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

To thin Epoxy ???
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: May 06, 2018 08:19PM

is there any thing that can Thin epoxy some ?? it was pointed out to me that DNA is not the best to use when trying to thin it some ,[ that was what I was using] , know that HEAT will make it flow better , but it speeds up the curing time , any help out there , I am lost on this problem ,

William Sidney
AK

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: To thin Epoxy ???
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 06, 2018 08:29PM

No epoxy formulators recommend this but, if you must, then Acetone. It's more volitile than DNA and will leave the mix more quickly.

Is there a reason you need to thin it?

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 06, 2018 08:51PM

I put 2,3 drops (from an eyedropper) acetone in a 1cc total mix. I use D-2. I know , you're not supposed to mix less than 3cc., but I'm not selling finish , I'm buying it.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.drr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 06, 2018 09:34PM

Why not simply use Lite formulatoins of epoxy, then you will not be screwing with the molecular link up that is designed into the epoxy? Epoxy doesn't "dry," it cures due to the chemical reaction of linking molecule to molecule of the resin and hardener. It is a chemical reaction like combining oxygen and hydrogen to produce water. Putting other molecules into it has the risk of messing up the intended linking. Lite will get thinner with a little heating without messing with the molecular linking. The manufacturers do all kinds of research and experiments to make the product as good as they can and people think they can improve it with their own additions of something or other. If that would make it better the manufacturer would have already done it or recommended it.

Date: May 06, 2018 10:06PM

I have used DNA for the last 10 years , an one of the well known person's on this site said not to use DNA so I was wondering if there was some thing else , I went on the web
looking an it said to use heat , DNA, ACETONE , I mixed up a batch with Acetone an it did not go well , [trash] [use 33 % ratio ] . will try it with 5% to 7% , as the site I went says to use , an see how it works out , just looking for a better way , THANKS FOR THE INFO ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 06, 2018 11:01PM

You may remember this thread from about a year ago concerned with thinning epoxy. Look at John Cates Comments about acetone.
[rodbuilding.org]
Norm

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 06, 2018 11:02PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No epoxy formulators recommend this but, if you
> must, then Acetone. It's more volitile than DNA
> and will leave the mix more quickly.
>
> Is there a reason you need to thin it?
>
> .............
if you would answer why you want to thin it we can give you a better answer

but here is what I do but again very rarely do I have the need to thin epoxy
I portion out the epoxy and mix it as normal and then add acetone a few drops at a time till I get the consistency I want .
as Tom said it does evaporate from the mix faster than DA.
with all the different types of epoxy available why thin it just but the 2 oz kits and your good to go high ,medium ,and light build and don't for get about using Perma gloss for super light coats

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 07, 2018 09:00AM

By a 33% ratio of acetone I assume you mean one part resin, one part hardener, and one part acetone by volume. If so, that is the approximate mix to made clear or transparent wraps using natural silk (silk not dyed) and lite viscosity finish. It's A LOT of acetone.

The ratio recommended by John Coats was 1 part acetone to 15 parts finish. Said another way, you would mix 7 1/2 ml each of hardener and resin and then add 1 ml of acetone. If you make the typical 6 ml mix (3 ml each of resin and hardener) the volume of acetone would be less than 1/2 ml.

Rather than break my brain figuring out mix ratios by volume or weight, or playing junior chemist, I either apply multiple coats of a lite viscosity finish, or first apply a thin, lite viscosity finish coat followed by a single high build coat.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (207.244.66.---)
Date: May 07, 2018 10:09AM

It would seem to make more sense to use a lite build epoxy to begin with.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 07, 2018 02:29PM

I like the results I get with the finish I use. On the rare occasion that I'd like it a little thinner I thin it. I will be ordering Flexcoat lite in the future.

Date: May 07, 2018 10:24PM

I was using some epoxy on CARBON FIBER grips an wanted the epoxy to sink in better on the first coat , an it looks like I went to far
YES 1 part A & 1 part B & 1 part DNA or acetione is 33% mix, the way I look at it , will cut the ratio down from now on ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.subs.proxad.net)
Date: May 08, 2018 03:08AM

For this usage, best is 1 coat on the core, when dry put you carbon sleeve and epoxy and use some heat (heatgun) to help good soaking.

A word you have used in your post has been banned from use. Please use a different word or contact the forum administrators.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster