I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

American Tackle Power Wrapper Large O-Ring
Posted by: Tony Boschi (---.craigtechinc.com)
Date: May 04, 2018 08:57AM

Good morning all.

I just thought I would share this. My wrapper came with 2 Buna-N black rings and as expected, over time, one of the rings finally split. Not wanting to be without a "backup" ring for the wrapper, I looked around and being an Engineer, I wanted something a little "softer" and with a little more "grip". I went to McMaster Carr and was able to purchase Silicone rings for the wrapper and a better price than I was expecting. I bought 5 rings for $10.25 and have plenty or backups now.

Part Number 9396K308, High-Temperature High-Purity Silicone O-Ring, 3/16 Fractional Width, Dash Number 346

Tony Boschi
Banana River Rods
Merritt Island, Florida
321~525~1063

* Rapid Prototyping Services
* Custom Beach Rods
* Custom Inshore Rods

[bananariverrods.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: American Tackle Power Wrapper Large O-Ring
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 04, 2018 02:31PM

Hello Toni.

Are they tougher, longer lasting, and or smaller or larger in width or thickness.

In short can you explain the differences to me?

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Sheridan Stanton (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2018 09:46AM

Thanks for the tip,I have an older CPW lathe I know my time will come

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2018 10:17AM

Robert, The standard size for the AmTack, PacBay, and CPW wrappers is a 3/16 inch belt/O ring, it's a standard industrial size you can get at any industrial supply/bearing shop. I got my supply of extras from King Bearing many years ago. Every ring on the machine is a standard size that is readily available.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.lightspeed.irvnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 05, 2018 11:08PM

The silicone o-rings are vastly superior to the Buna-N varieties. Yes, they cost 4X as much, but now I don’t have “skid marks” around the rod and I anticipate them lasting longer as well!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: May 06, 2018 04:45PM

I just replaced the black ones on a Pac Bay power wrapper ,that I bought used, with the thicker yellow rings and they are vastly superior.

Posted by: Tony Boschi (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 07, 2018 04:30PM

Bob,

They are the exact same size, diameter, thickness but they are Red Silicone which outlasted Buna N all day long. They are a lighter durometer, but the are totally pliable. After a month, my Buna rings showed wear, after a month of using the Silicone rings, they still look like the day they arrived.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 08, 2018 12:04PM

Hello Tony.

Thanks for the info, I have only changed my rings three or four times because I use some rings a tractor repair guy gave me years ago (Don't know what they are made of) but he has passed and I am going to be looking for replacements soon.

Thanks Again.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 08, 2018 02:24PM

I bought the rings on the wrapper that I made from the local hardware store plumbing department many years ago. The rings are still just fine after many years of use.

Good luck

Posted by: Larry Ohara (---.clppva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 13, 2018 01:57PM

Bought these from amazon:

Small Parts
329 Silicone O-Ring, 70A Durometer, Red, 2" ID, 2-3/8" OD, 3/16" Width (Pack of 5) @ $9.11

329 Neoprene O-Ring, 70A Durometer, Round, Black, 2" ID, 2-3/8" OD, 3/16" Width (Pack of 25) @ $4.69

The silicone and the neo are running on a number of drying motors for the last 2 years. So far no different between the two. I suspect the Silicon will last longer.
I also bought the little guys for at a really decent price.

212 Silicone O-Ring, 70A Durometer, Red, 7/8" ID, 1-1/8" OD, 1/8" Width (Pack of 25) @ $3.25

I think I'm good for awhile!

HAPPY MOTHER's DAY!
Larry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster