I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fenwick blank
Posted by: Taylor Nelson (---.rstr.qwest.net)
Date: April 25, 2018 10:06PM

I recently acquired a nice fenwick blank that I plan to build. It is a SP 782 F in a brown color. Does anyone have any info as to how old it is and any technical details about it? Such as action? Any information would be appreciated!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fenwick blank
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 25, 2018 10:29PM

Taylor,
These are all links to various 782 blanks::

+++++++++++++++
A comment from a previous post on Rod Building:

++++++++++++++++
Re: Vintage Fenwick Rod Blanks
Posted by: doug raff (---.lightspeed.tukrga.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 21, 2016 08:50AM

I used to wrap Fenwick HMG blanks almost exclusively way back when ...

The SP stands for spinning
The 1st 2 digits are the length of the blank in inches
The last digit indicates the power of the rod with 1 being ultra light and 8 being a pool cue

A HMG graphite blank #4 is good for 1/8 to 5/8 oz lures. A 5 is good for 3/8 to 3/4 oz lures

There maybe some difference between Fenwick's HMG and Matrix blanks but I have information on the Matrix ones

This information comes from Fenwick's 1983 rod building catalog

Only wish Fenwick was still selling blanks!

Posted by: Doug Schreiber (---.lightspeed.oshkwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 25, 2018 10:52PM

Could it be an old fen glass blank?

Classic, built a bunch of them with i was a kid.

See you on the water, Doug
Captain Paddlefoot

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 25, 2018 10:59PM

Hi Doug could you send me a pic I believe I could identify it for you

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 26, 2018 12:16AM

Been a while, but I believe it was rated 4 to 10 lb. line, 1/8 to 3/8 oz. lure weight. Sound about right?

Posted by: Raymond Faus (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 27, 2018 06:01PM

Wondering...is it a one piece blank? BTW- you’re in good hands with this group of gents whom are offering up info. They’ve been absolutely critical to one of my projects in particular, but also in the lost world of vintage FG rods from the 60’s, 70’s, and 80’s.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 27, 2018 09:57PM

If it is labeled as Fenglass then it would date to some time in the 1980s since the Fenwick Fenglass trademark was not registered until 1982. I believe the all the Fenglass models where either brown or white. If it is not labeled as Fenglass then it could have been made earlier. The Feralite trademark came out in the 1960s, but I don’t know exactly when but I think it was 1963 or so. The SP782F means a spinning blank 78” long with a 2 power (light) with a Feralite ferrule (F). So it is a two piece light powered 6 1/2’ Spinning rod, probably rated as Spencer mentioned above.
Norm

Posted by: Taylor Nelson (---.sub-174-219-2.myvzw.com)
Date: April 28, 2018 08:37PM

Thanks for the Info guys! This will be a great build! Hopefully will start it tonight.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster