I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Saltwater Winn Grips?
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.lightspeed.irvnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 22, 2018 08:24PM

The overwhelming majority of you (and I assume your customers as well) have taken a liking to the Winn Grips, and probably rightfully so considering their huge impact in golf, racket-sports and bicycling. I am a traditionalist, maybe even an ol’ stick-in-the-mud when it comes to fishing rods and use cork on all my builds except saltwater rods which are in and out of rod holders all day long. Generally, the grips of my salt rods have been 1 or 2 layers of composite cork tape with a shrink tubing cover = quite durable, a positive grip, relatively inexpensive, easy to build and the bit of additional weight helps to balance those 9 footers.
I want to exit my comfort zone, live on the wild side and give Winn a shot. While I am certain they would apply very well to my ultralite trout rods, I have 2 concerns with their saltwater applications I would appreciate your feedback and wealth of information. Fred Z. started a similar post several days ago but I think it was geared around freshwater bass fishing, not for 15-40# saltwater yellowtail let alone 80#+ tuna. So, for moderate saltwater applications, the questions are;
1.) Durability/resilience. How would they hold-up to constant banging around in a rod holder? How would the foregrip survive the constant twisting of a conventional casting rod without spiral-wrapped (Acid-wrapped) guides?
2.) Length. Unless building a really short ocean rod, I typically build the rear grip 14-16in to accommodate reeling in with the butt of the rod under the arm (but, no, I’m not macho enough to try it with an 80# tuna). What lengths are available? For that matter, what ODs are available? Bigger fish require bigger diameter (fore) grips. 1.125-1.25in would be preferred.
Thanks for R2 (Reading and Replying)!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Saltwater Winn Grips?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2018 08:32PM

Mark,
If you haven't considered; think about the use of a slick butt for constant rod holder use. Tough tough grips that work very well.

Good luck

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 22, 2018 08:37PM

There was a 5-part series on rod grip ergonomics in RodMaker about a year ago that you might find interesting.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2018 09:11PM

Have talked to two persons over the years that have used Winn materials. One was a deckhand rod using the tape, lasted 2 weeks of continuous fishing. The second, I really don't know much about other than he went on a long range trip, occassionally used the rear grip on the rail and it just shredded away fairly quickly.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.lightspeed.irvnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 22, 2018 09:30PM

Roger, Tom and Spencer,
Thank you, I can always rely on you guys to reply with your wealth of information.
Roger, I have seen the Slick Butts but the regular diamond pattern, flocked shrink tube has been working very well.
Spencer, thanks, good to know. In Winn’s defense, I cannot imagine the tape holding up anywhere near as well as the tubular, pre-fab units which I am considering.
Anxiously awaiting further feedback, replies, and experiences.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.94.---)
Date: April 22, 2018 11:23PM

I myself and many others have been relentlessly trying to find the original "Quick Grip" shrink because it was incredibly durable and had a neoprene sticky type feel to it . I have been somewhat OK with Mudhole's shrink until the last batch i received , i just attempted to apply it over the weekend and it didn't shrink much at all compared to my previous purchases from them so i will be contacting them about a replacement .

I buy a lot of that stuff but it's not the original Quick Grip shrink they use to carry , that stuff would last year after year in brutal conditions .

I have researched neoprene shrink tubing but in the sizes i use it comes lined inside with an adhesive that i don't want . I have also used Plasti Dip for rod handles and it's just liquid rubber thats extremely durable , comes in many colors including clear and is very easy to apply & you can cut it off if you ever want to remove it .

Rubber self fusing tape works well also as does rubber electrical splicing tape.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 23, 2018 09:19AM

By the way, if you want an inexpensive - really tough grip for rods used in rod holders, go to your local big box store and buy pvc irrigation hose.
This is the same hose that is used with underground sprinklers.

Cut off as much as you need, and then, put it in an oven and slip it onto a straight piece of material to get the piece straight and then, just use it for reel seat material.

I would think that 3 feet of this material would cost you $1.50:

[www.homedepot.com]

If you look, you can get the pipe in various sizes. Very very tough.

Good luck

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster