I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rod shipping
Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: April 19, 2018 11:02AM

Hi all..is there presently used a tubing that will protect my flipping rod 100% from breakage by conveyer systems when shipped? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rod shipping
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: April 19, 2018 11:21AM

William Sidney
AK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2018 12:15AM by Bill Sidney.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: April 19, 2018 11:21AM

there is nothing that is 100% fool prof , water pipe with caps is the best bet [ it is heavy ] I think

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 19, 2018 12:07PM

At one time you could write "do not belt" on such tubes and hope for the best. There is no guarantee that they won't do it, however.

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.98.91.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 19, 2018 12:19PM

I've had my best success with schedule 40 pvc. It costs a little more but has all but eliminated the frustration with breakage.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 19, 2018 01:22PM

Ben,
The conveyor systems that are used by the package carriers to move mail can snap virtually any package without slowing down or blinking an eye.

I have had long, short, thick and thin packages broken by all of the different mail services. Thank goodness, only a few.

But, simply put, the easiest and least expensive package for a fishing rod is pvc schedule DW thinwall drain pipe. Yes, the walls are 1/2 as thick as schedule and 1/3rd as thick as schedule 80 pipe.
But the weight of the thinwall pipe is about 1/3rd the weight of schedule and about 1/6th the weight of schedule 40 drain pipe or conventional thick carpet roll tubing.

If pvc DW pipe, PVC schedule 40 pipe, or PVC schedule 80 pipe gets caught in a conveyor - they will all snap.

Don't put any markings like fragile or do not belt or similar words. It has been shown before that now and then a bored employee will do exactly the opposite of what is written on the container to see if the container survives.

Just start with a clean unmarked container for shipping. Put on a label with the return and shipping address and put insurance on the package that is at least double the selling price of the contents so that in case of an accident you will still be able to recover your costs.

Best of luck.

Roger

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 19, 2018 01:37PM

I totally agree, they can break anything.

Date: April 19, 2018 01:50PM

Roger i have to agree with you to use the cheapest packaging because if it gets jammed your done for..i think it might be better to use a cheap carboard tube because it would not spring back to straight like plastic and look like nothing happened..they would not continue to ship a cardboard tube shaped like a triangle..would they..lol. they know your not going to accept a damaged package, right? my last rod about 6' was completely snapped in two places but it was left leaning by the door nice and straight.. i did not see the damage until i opened it..it was in pvc tubing..i had to really inspect the tubing to find any damage to the pvc.

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.111.---)
Date: April 19, 2018 03:16PM

Wow, this sounds like it's relatively common , you learn something new everyday , you would think that if long tubes were caught in a conveyer and snapped more so than other packages they wouldn't put them through there but maybe not.

Posted by: Travis Thompson (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 19, 2018 04:33PM

If in the midwest Spee DEE delivery is the fastest cheapest and safest

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.111.---)
Date: April 19, 2018 04:54PM

Travis Thompson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If in the midwest Spee DEE delivery is the fastest
> cheapest and safest

Yeah , i looked into that outfit , sounds like the way to go . Unfortunately they don't serve my area.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 19, 2018 05:28PM

I have shipped and received 100's of rods and blanks and only have one damaged. It was in a PVC light tube. However, as I only build fly rods and almost exclusively 4 piece, I am not shipping long tubes which can be more easily damaged. Two of my main suppliers on the left mark their shipment "do not convey!" don't know if it is adhered too or not.

My thoughts on using light weight PVC is that it can also be crushed by having something heavy loaded upon it, not just in a conveyor.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (99.85.13.---)
Date: April 19, 2018 11:37PM

Insuring for double the cost won’t get you any extra. You have to supply a receipt and proof of purchase price.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2018 11:39PM by Lance Dupre.

Double post deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2018 11:38PM by Lance Dupre.

Double post deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2018 11:38PM by Lance Dupre.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 20, 2018 10:10AM

Lance,

Actually, the cost of what went into the package is not important.
The important item is the number for which you insured the package. If the shipper accepts the package at the price for which it was insured, the insurance company is liable for that amount if the item is broken.

A rod is a work of art. Art has value. When you put an insurance value on a package - you are insuring the item for the value that you have on that item.

For example.

A person does a ceramic art object. The cost of materials to make the item is $10. But, the person values his time and energy at $500 to have built the item. Therefore, the item is carefully packed and the package is iinsured for $500.

If that item is broken in shipping and the person goes to collect, the insurance company is liable for the full $500 and will pay it on the spot.

The same thing is true with fishing rods.
You, as a rod builder buys the components of the fishing rod for $250. But, you put a value on the rod of $900 because that is your work added total value for which you value the rod. Hence, you put an insurance value of $900 on the rod and if the rod is broken in shipping, then the insurance company is liable for the full $900 for which the rod was insured. In fact, they will pay the $900 because, that was the value of insurance placed on the package.

The same thing is true for value added insurance that folks place on collector cars. A 1956 chevrolet is found in a barn and is purchased for $2500. Then, the vehicle is restored to a pristine condition. The owner of the car, then goes to an insurance company and places a value added insurance policy on the vehicle of $75,000 and pays the monthly premiums. if the vehicle burns up, is destroyed in a fire or flood or accident, the insurance company will repay the owner the $75,000 or the full value added amount of the value added insurance policy that was placed on the car.

So, when you place a value on a fishing rod that you have built, you are placing a value added insurance policy on that rod - due to the work and value that you have added to the cost of components that were initially purchased to build the rod. Hence, if, during shipping the rod is broken, the insurance company is liable for the full value of the value added insurance policy that you placed on the rod when you delivered it to the shipper for shipping to its final destination.

If in doubt, just talk to the insurance folks at the post office, FED EX , UPS, or Speedy Delivery service.

Good luck

Posted by: steve schuster (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: April 24, 2018 09:00PM

ben belote Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Roger i have to agree with you to use the cheapest
> packaging because if it gets jammed your done
> for..i think it might be better to use a cheap
> carboard tube because it would not spring back to
> straight like plastic and look like nothing
> happened..they would not continue to ship a
> cardboard tube shaped like a triangle..would
> they..lol. they know your not going to accept a
> damaged package, right? my last rod about 6' was
> completely snapped in two places but it was left
> leaning by the door nice and straight.. i did not
> see the damage until i opened it..it was in pvc
> tubing..i had to really inspect the tubing to find
> any damage to the pvc.

Ben, you'd be surprised.
I purchased a blank from Florida, which is 3000 miles away.
It was shipped in a triangle-shaped cardboard tube by FedX
It arrived here with no issues.
I then shipped it to my buddy 30 miles away in the same exact tube via UPS with $150 insurance.
They left it on his front porch.
It arrived in 3 pieces.
UPS would not honor the insurance and claimed "the packaging was insufficient"
Now I only use DWV plastic drain/waste/vent tubing, and don't use UPS for shipping.
Live and learn

Date: April 25, 2018 01:30PM

Steve, good point.i too have received rods in the triangle box with no issues but don,t have the nerve to do it myself..i was thinking of cardboard tubes. something that would readily show major damage and not spring back to normal shape like platic tubing will.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster