I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Latest opinions on the NFC blanks many recently ordered .
Posted by: herb canter (70.40.111.---)
Date: April 19, 2018 04:25PM

David Baylor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

"Perhaps a ton of anglers on these boards didn't take advantage of the 50% off sale? Or, and I include myself in this group, perhaps they weren't even aware of the sale"

Sorry Dave , i don't buy that even a little bit , all i have been reading the last month on this board is people ordering NFC blanks and discussions about how they can't wait to receive it . I waited for a time to ask the many that did purchase them what they thought , why this is so baffling for people to understand is beyond me . One of the biggest reasons i asked is because the feedback on NFC blanks on many other boards is not nearly as impressive as one would think , thats another reason i decided to ask on this board .

So apparently not everybody is convinced Gary Loomis can do no wrong , if NFC blanks were that amazing and sought after they wouldn't have to offer them at such hugely discounted prices which is another way to view it.

My second post was purposely made to force someone to post out of disagreement and it worked , don't take it so seriously. Anyway, thanks for the feedback on the blanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2018 04:32PM by herb canter.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 19, 2018 04:45PM

Sometimes a product is discounted in order to encourage people to try it, hoping that once they do they'll return for more product at the regular price.

Your second post, stating "The silence on this one pretty much tells me all I need to know lol" is easily construed as the blanks must not be any good. I don't think it was difficult for anyone to read it that way. I certainly did.

We live in an age where it's easy to expect immediate replies to any query, often regardless of time of day, time zone, etc. I suggest when asking for advice or opinions we give other forum users a bit of time to offer such.

Date: April 19, 2018 04:48PM

OK , here are a few examples of why i asked about what people thought about the NFC blanks they received on this particular board :

* " I was kinda interested in the 8' MB HM blanks , that is till i checked them out in person at a fishing show at the beginning of the month , i'll definitely pass"

* " I was originally interested in the MB 806 HM , at the Batson Booth at the Long beach Fred Hall show they had the blank there and to me it did not have the power in the backbone i was hoping for , so i looked at the other blanks in the rod rack they had there and lo and behold they had an 806 , 807 , & 809 . so i then went up the rack trying different blanks thinking i was gonna find a more powerful blank , went up to the 809 ( which is supposed to be the most powerful ) it felt like a moderate fast medium heavy powered blank , not at all what i was expecting to find , the blank flexed all the way in to the handle section , literally no backbone shutoff".

Date: April 19, 2018 04:49PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
> Sometimes a product is discounted in order to
> encourage people to try it, hoping that once they
> do they'll return for more product at the regular
> price.
>
> Your second post, stating "The silence on this one
> pretty much tells me all I need to know lol" is
> easily construed as the blanks must not be any
> good. I don't think it was difficult for anyone to
> read it that way. I certainly did.
>
> We live in an age where it's easy to expect
> immediate replies to any query, often regardless
> of time of day, time zone, etc. I suggest when
> asking for advice or opinions we give other forum
> users a bit of time to offer such.
>
> ...............

Fair enough Tom .

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: April 19, 2018 04:52PM

Herb, don,t you think the carbon scrim idea is prooving to be a bad idea..you need some glass for durability.

Date: April 19, 2018 05:02PM

ben belote Wrote:
> Herb, don,t you think the carbon scrim idea is
> prooving to be a bad idea..you need some glass for
> durability.

Please NOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo, i hate glass in all forms , i have never had any problems with carbon scrim so i'm keeping it , besides top notch NFC blanks use paper scrim and supposedly some blanks like Point Blank don't use any type of scrim at all . What i'm trying to say is i'm not a fan of glass scrim whether it be the old E glass or S glass types . I have been scrim free for a long time and would like to keep it that way .

Thanks for the suggestion Ben my friend but the answer is no .

Date: April 19, 2018 05:31PM

lol..i never heard of a scrim free rod..how do you get hoop strength? now, i heard that the scrim can be laid at some angle but it is still scrim, no? or are the definitions being changed again?.lol.

Date: April 19, 2018 05:47PM

ben belote Wrote:
> lol..i never heard of a scrim free rod..how do you
> get hoop strength? now, i heard that the scrim can
> be laid at some angle but it is still scrim, no?
> or are the definitions being changed again?.lol.

I prefer to think that all rods are scrim free , hoop strength is achieved by using scotch tape , at least thats what i use , the invisible type of course .

Date: April 19, 2018 06:07PM

ok, so g. loomis is using the visable tape and it,s hurting sales, so if he changes over to the invisable tape, sales will sky rocket again..i new i was complicating things as usual..thanks Herb..lol.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 19, 2018 10:13PM

Herb, how do you use Scotch tape to achieve hoop strength? Something here I don't get! Thought the hoop strength was built into the blank and not by the builder.

Date: April 20, 2018 01:03AM

Phil Erickson Wrote:
> Herb, how do you use Scotch tape to achieve hoop
> strength? Something here I don't get! Thought the
> hoop strength was built into the blank and not by
> the builder.

I'm pulling your leg Phil .

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 20, 2018 10:11AM

Phil,
You do know the story of "The emperors new clothes" don't you?

[www.andersen.sdu.dk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2018 10:12AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 23, 2018 03:37PM

"Scrim" is, or has been, a form of multi-directional "chop" be it glass, paper or carbon. "Scrimless" blanks like the POINT Blank use a newer, very fine, very light (but very strong) "net" of carbon fibers layered between the flags that make up the blank. POINT Blank is actually made with varying angles along the length of the blank which allows a level of control in both flexibility and strength that is difficult, if not impossible, to achieve with a chop style scrim and most scrimless blanks do not vary the net angles, opting for a straight "plus minus 45" carbon net. The resulting blanks are 100% carbon and are the lightest blanks available. In most cases they match or exceed the lifting power of similar scrimmed blanks. The geometry of a net-like structure is the perfect solution to survive the repeated compression/elongation at any point along the length of the blank as well as resisting the tendency to "go oval" and collapse. Combined with an advanced resin system and an extremely tight spec on the construction of the blank and you begin to see why POINT Blank falls into the "premium" category and why we say...if you haven't tried one - you should.

Yeah, I know I'm tootin' my horn but Ben and Herb needed some info ;)

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (107.77.89.---)
Date: April 23, 2018 08:19PM

“Lightest available???? I think that might be a slight oversight... I would argue the Phenix are lighter than point blank. Are point blank nice yep but not the level of the hm’s Or the k2 but this is only my opinion.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 24, 2018 12:03PM

Some models are lighter, Thomas, some are heavier. My reference was to 100% carbon blanks vs scrimmed blanks. Didn't mean to mislead anyone. I could have been more clear.

Date: April 24, 2018 12:56PM

Jim..Good stuff..Thank you.

Posted by: Aleks Maslov (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2018 09:06PM

Hi Everyone,

Full disclosure, I am the CEO/Partner at NFC (for those that will yell that I am biased later ;-) )

1) Tom is right, there are a number of reasons to offer 50% off on blanks

a. It give's those folks that are "on the fence" about trying a new brand product to pull the trigger
b. It gives the general public the ability to buy blanks and send them to their rod-builders (we get a ton of email from builders after each promotion, letting us know about the bump in their workload)
c. The dollar acquisition (marketing) cost of each new customer is often more than the 50% of the value of the blank...as there are not "hundreds of thousands of rod builders"

2) Herb, if you were at the Fred Hall show, you should have stopped by our booth (E16) and we would have recommended a blank for you. For the heavier bass blanks, we recommend the BB (Back-Bounce) series of blanks, we just refuse to re-brand them as an heavy MB or a Swimbait blank, they work perfectly for those functions, and are used by OEM's and rod-builders alike, there are three "heavy" models, such as the BB805, BB806, and BB809, if you want to go even heavier - there is the SW or the Pelagic Series.

If the MB action is too moderate for your liking - try the SJ (Spin Jig) if you want it a little faster, try to HS (Hot Shot).

As guys are using more and more braid, the feedback we get from the field is that a slower action blank is better for their hookup ratio, but everyone is a bit different.

Those that have ordered your blanks, thank you for your patience...we did not expect such a demand, and will try to make good with some apparel as a thank you for the wait.

If you guys have any questions on blanks/materials etc., feel free to shoot us a note at info@northforkcomposites.com or call the office at 360.225.2211, we refuse to over techno-babble our marketing materials, or get into arguments if higher modulus, lower resin content, makes a better blank...we can make one that will never break, but you will never want to fish it.

Best Regards,
Alex

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster