I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lightest tip top for bass rods
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (107.77.111.---)
Date: April 15, 2018 02:20PM

what is currently the lightest titanium framed tip-top besides the torzite?

Thanks
Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lightest tip top for bass rods
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 15, 2018 03:26PM

SiC ring micro tip top in the casting or spinning version depending on your configuration.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (107.77.111.---)
Date: April 15, 2018 03:29PM

Thanks Spencer these are for spiral wrapped casters

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 15, 2018 05:13PM

Just use any titanium framed tiptop that has the right sizes of ring and tube and forget about the thousenths of ounces you might be missing.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 15, 2018 10:52PM

Where can I purchase tip-tops made exclusively for bass rods? This would be a terrific selling point for customers who fish only for bass and use only bass rods.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: April 15, 2018 11:00PM

don't get me wrong, but the BASS don't know about the tip or the rod , all the bass wants is food , if you do it correctly the bass will bite even if you throw the lure by hand
that is what I think could be wrong ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 16, 2018 09:14AM

A rod guide is a rod guide is a rod guide is a rod guide.

Rod guides are certainly not fish type specific.

A rod guide guides a line down a rod, it has nothing what so ever to do with any fish that might be biting on a lure or hook somewhere yards away from the guide.

Good luck

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: April 16, 2018 03:16PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A rod guide is a rod guide is a rod guide is a rod
> guide.
>
> Rod guides are certainly not fish type specific.
>
> A rod guide guides a line down a rod, it has
> nothing what so ever to do with any fish that
> might be biting on a lure or hook somewhere yards
> away from the guide.
>
> Good luck

I'm not 100 per cent sure line guides and tip tops aren't somewhat specific to species, I don't think i want to replace the tip top and guides on my crappie rods with roller guides and vice versa for a huge salt water fish.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 16, 2018 04:01PM

Marketing strategies; Call it a "Bass Tip", "Cast for the Top Bass", "Bad to the Bass Tip Top", Etc. I think the Fuji Stainless Alconite may be pretty light also. Freshwater rods don't really benefit from Titanium framed guides. I am also not sure if they are pure titanium or a titanium alloy mix. If it is a mix it may not be that light.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 16, 2018 04:56PM

Terry,
A line guide and tip top is specific to the required load on the guides and hence on the rod.
So a better way to say it would be to specify - based on rod power and action.

Sure, heavy fish - heavy guides required.
Light and small fish, small light guides required.

Good luck

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 16, 2018 05:57PM

There is no titanium guide that is not an alloy. There is no steel guide that is not an alloy. There is no iron engine block that is not an alloy. Their are no aluminum or steel body panels used in the auto industry that are not alloys. As stated, guides are guides. Tiptops are tiptops. They differ specifically by what they are intended to do (their expected duty cycle) and what the purchaser is willing to pay. They do not differ by which fish species they are intended to be used for . This shouldn't be this hard.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: April 16, 2018 06:00PM

The lightest I know of are the original Batson "Micro" tip tops.
They are unbraced and very light.
Here is a link, pic towards the bottom.
[www.schneidersrods.com]

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 17, 2018 01:53PM

So are there any tip-tops that are TOO light for bass? I don't know of any.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.43.178.26.nw.nuvox.net)
Date: April 17, 2018 02:47PM

No, there are not any tip tops that are too light for bass fishing, but I probably would not recommend an original Batson micro tip top without bracing for some bass fishing techniques and/or use cases. I've had those original Batson micro tip tops on a couple rods for about 10 years now and they are holding up just fine, even though I've had to bend them back into shape on occasion. You'll be hard pressed to find something lighter, especially if you take the time to trim the tube down to the length of say a Kigan tip top.

Take your choice of the tip tops out there. I'm yet to find any that are truly inadequate from the folks who are sponsors here. The weight difference from one model of tip top to another isn't going to be nearly as significant as the weight difference between different models for a whole set of running guides and the associated thread and epoxy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster