I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Installing longer Winn grips
Posted by: Chris Morilla (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 14, 2018 11:12PM

What’s up guys, first post here. Did a little research about the Winn grips and seems most posts are about installing split grips. I am thinking of putting the longer rear Winn grip on my next build. Rod has a butt of .73 and the biggest winn grips have a .50 ID. Do they require reaming or can you lube them up and slide them down like EVA? They aren't cheap, and don't want to screw it up too bad.

Also any reviews? How is the longevity? Thanks guys

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Installing longer Winn grips
Posted by: Sam Folds III (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 14, 2018 11:39PM

you have to ream them to fit the blank as you would any other grip

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 15, 2018 08:03AM

I have been told by another builder that he had trouble with the surface getting distorted when he tried forcing them over a blank that was too big for the grip's hole. So I think it best to have the parts sized so they dry fit easily before gluing. I've used only shorter ones and have had no problems with parts sized as I mention above. They are offered in very long lengths, so I expect a note to Winn's would be productive.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 15, 2018 09:26AM

Chris,
Due to the type grip - ream the grip to size before installing. The finish of the grip does not like to be stretched. It only takes a few moments to ream the grip to size, so ream, glue and install and you will be good to go.

Be safe

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 15, 2018 11:34AM

Yes, ream them. I have had a lot of people try the Winn grips and they love them. Many have had me retro fit all of their old rods with Winn grips because they like them so much. Since the Winn grips have come out my use of cork has dropped dramatically. They have not be around very long as fishing grips, so it is difficult to tell at this time how long they will last, but so far so good. No replacements over the past three or four years. There are still people who prefer cork, and others that like the carbon fiber grips. So different people have different likes and dislikes.
Norm

Posted by: Chris Morilla (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 15, 2018 12:04PM

Thanks everyone. Will ream them out and take it slow. Still pretty new to rod building, so doing a bit of research to keep my screw ups to a minimum.

My buddy has the Winn grips on one of his rods, and they feel great, but that is on a bass rod. I’ll be putting them on an offshore bottom fishing rod. Let’s see how they do. The natural cork Winn grips with an alps reel seat will look sharp!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 15, 2018 01:43PM

I think Tour Star has some videos showing the installation of their version of long grip.

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 19, 2018 02:57PM

Hey all - just a few notes on installing the longer Winn grips.

Agree with the rest - ream them so you can just dry fit into place. One thing to avoid is forcing them down the blank. If you try to force the longer Winn grips down the blank (like you may with traditional eva) you will run the risk of having the WinnDry Polymer (that is wrapped around an eva base) buckle. Meaning - some areas of the polymer may separate from the eva - and looks like buckle or bubble in the grip.

Doesn't always happen, but it is a risk that is also easily avoidable by reaming so it just barely dry fits into place. Anyway, just a few things we found useful when working with the longer Winn grips.

The longer versions really do look nice too - browse the Winn selection here if interested:
[www.mudhole.com]

Thanks

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster