I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel Seat on a trolling rod is spinning/moving.
Posted by: John Keough (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 08, 2018 06:42PM

What is the best way to re-secure a reel seat that is no longer stationary? Do I have to cut the gimble and uni-butt off? Is there a way to re-glue the moving reel seat? It is on a trolling rod for stripers, Tica big game.

Re: Reel Seat on a trolling rod is spinning/moving.
Posted by: David Parsons (---.s16300.c3-0.drf-ubr1.atw-drf.pa.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: April 08, 2018 07:02PM

You could try drilling some holes in the reel seat and take a syringe with two part epoxy glue and inject that in Is this a factory rod or custom if it's a factory rod the arbor under the reel seat could be junk

Date: April 08, 2018 07:18PM

I was thinking it might be a foam arbour that has failed, and there is nothing left.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 08, 2018 07:58PM

If it was MY rod I would drill a 1/8" hole through the reel seat and pin it, and then paean the ends.
If its a customers rod then it would have to come apart and re-glue or remove and add new reel seat.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 08, 2018 08:15PM

you would need to drill a hole at the top and bottom opposite side of the seat top hole as Dave said inject some epoxy in to it I would thin the epoxy some to make it flow to wet out as much of the seat space as possible or use optimum flow epoxy after you inject the epoxy just place a piece of tape across the bottom hole and stand it up right and let it cure over night and check it in the morning or you can make a major rebuild project out of some thing simple your choice

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 09, 2018 12:52AM

John,
I always try to repair a rod correctly.
I would remove the rear grip or uni butt and reel seat. Replace any failed arbor and or reel seat and do an excellent job in regluing the parts.
Then, reinstall the rear grip or uni butt with the same one - if you were able to save it, or install a new one - if the first one was destroyed in its removal.

Takes time and money to do it right - but then - it is right and will last for a very long time.

Good luck

Date: April 09, 2018 06:30AM

Any suggestions on how to get the unibutt off without cutting it? These rods are for a customer so I am more inclined to fix it right.

Posted by: Paul Darby (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: April 09, 2018 12:01PM

Is this a one piece or two piece rod -seat situation? Question is = Does the front grip butt up against the reel seat or is there a threaded adapter between the reel seat and the rod blank?

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 09, 2018 12:10PM

As I have done plenty times and credit goes to the late Jessy Buky for this one. Cut the seat and rod at the middle of the seat . Prepare a splice piece to fit inside the blank after properly preparing it for glue up. Glue a foam arbor full length into the seat and let it set up. Ream the arbor to fit as you normally would . Now glue the seat and inner splice up and align (I have been cutting the seat off at an angle to allow for perfect alignment of the butt so the gimbal is aligned). let it set up and stress test it. I have done at least 20 striper trolling rods (quite a few of A popular model around here but i won't mention the name) , never to have one come back and the angler was confused as to how i got the seat replaced so quickly and it looked like the rod was never touched.

I know a lot of striper trollers that beat their equipment pretty hard.....

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2018 12:12PM by Fred Yarmolowicz.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 09, 2018 12:16PM

Fred,

You don't specifically say so, in your response, but after cutting the rod in two and an angle to allow for perfect alignment, I assume that you slip the reel seat off the rod and throw it away.

Then you prepare your inner splice and arbor and obtain a new reel seat. Then, in one glue up, splice the inner seat, the arbor and the reel seat all back together at the same time?

I can see where, if you had the new reel seat on hand, that you could do the entire repair job in 30 minutes with no sign of a repair job. Very clever.

Good luck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2018 12:17PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: April 10, 2018 05:10PM

Exactly Roger. The late Jessy Buky gets the credit for the cleverness.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: David Parsons (---.s16300.c3-0.drf-ubr1.atw-drf.pa.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: April 11, 2018 07:15PM

Fred thanks for sharing that

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster