I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Single vs. Double Foot Spinning Guides
Posted by: Kevin Althoff (45.52.59.---)
Date: April 06, 2018 07:19PM

I just wanted to get everybody's take on the use of double foot guides on heavy (#30 and up) spinning rods. I typically build single foot only on spinning rods, but I've never built a spinning rod for anything above #20. Currently I'm planning a #30 outfit for catfish. I'd like to be able to spool up #40 as well for heavy cover, so I'm looking at blanks in the 15-30 or 40# range for up to 2 ounces of lead. Saltwater spinners heavier than this would often employ double foot guides, but it seems to me that double foot 8's all the way to the tip is overkill for rods using anything under #40 line. I've also heard of hybrid set ups using a double foot reduction train and single foot runners. While I like the principle, it seems like if you're really going to lean into a rod you would want added strength in the mid section running guides as well.

I'd be curious what the consensus is on when to start using double foot guides, as well as any other thoughts on guide selection and layout for this type of build. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Single vs. Double Foot Spinning Guides
Posted by: herb canter (70.40.97.---)
Date: April 06, 2018 07:45PM

On my heaviest surf outfits (12 foot rod) i only use two double foots , a KW 30 stripper to a KW 25 which then transitions to a KL 16 to a KT 10 to KT 6 runners and its outstanding , my spinning reel is a very wide spooled distance specific reel , a Shimano Aero Technium that wraps 100 feet of line with every full one up/down oscillation cycle which is a huge contributing factor as to why it's able to cast so far.

I have a RodGeeks 9 foot surf blank that i got at the expo and thats rated at 1- 4 oz and i use all single foots , a KL-H 25 , 12 H to a 5.5 M to 1 KB 5.5 and the rest KT 5.5 as runners and i can whip 3 oz out of sight with it . I wouldn't worry whatsoever about single foot guides not being tough enough , then again i never drop rods on boulders and they never get banged around .

If you're asking if 30 to 40 pound braid can be used with all single foots the answer is absolutely , i have used 50 pound with them with no issues but thats very very rare , the heaviest line i typically use is 20 pound braid.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 06, 2018 08:08PM

Remember that the line neither knows nor cares how many feet the guides have on them. The line deals with the ring, only.

It is fairly common practice to employ double foot guides in those areas of highest stress (in the mid to lower half of the rod) and where they will be the highest (height makes guides more susceptible to damage) and then run single foot, low framed guides on the upper half of the rod.

Always remember - if it works, then it works. Don't get too caught up on what you think has to be done or what you've seen done elsewhere. Try it for yourself and gauge the results.

Posted by: Mark B. Gonsalves (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: April 07, 2018 01:28AM

Here's my take on singles VS doubles. Single foots can be used and will be able to handle the stress put on them in fishing situations. What the smaller higher framed single foots CAN'T handle is abuse when moving the rod around. While you can bend them back into shape, you will tire of having to do this.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 07, 2018 09:09AM

Kevin,
If a rod is going to be knocked about and abused as may be the case with cat fishing rods when fishing in the dark on a muddy bank, the use of 2 or possibly 3 double footed guides on a spinning rod is a good idea. Then, go to single footed guides after that.

The single foot guides will work just fine, but they are more subject to bending and damage - especially in the larger sizes. Generally speaking the smaller runner guides can be single foot guides since there is not so much guide that may be subjected to the school of hard knocks. Single foot guides are plenty strong enough to take any force from the line and the fish. But, single foot guides will bend more easily if the rod gets stepped on or something is laid on top of the rod.

Good luck

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster