I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ebony Inserts
Posted by: John Wright (---.om.om.cox.net)
Date: April 05, 2018 03:52PM

I am building a new rod and want to use ebony insert and ends of the cork handle. Has anyone ever used ebony? How difficult is it to work? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ebony Inserts
Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: April 06, 2018 07:03AM

Ebony is very dense, but with sharp cutting tools its really not all that difficult to turn. I have turned a few pieces for fly rod reel seat inserts, but it is not a popular choice since it lacks the figure/grain that most people want when turning something for a custom build. I went and bought cutting tools that have replaceable carbide cutters, they last a long time and for the amount of turning that I do, its just easier to replace a cutter than invest in the stuff to properly sharpen tools.

One place you might run into some trouble is on the ends of your cork grip, getting it bored to the right diameter to fit the blank, having a decent lathe and accessories would be an advantage. If I am picturing what you want to do, I'd make those ends first, getting them to the bore size along with the outer diameter and taper, glue them to the ends of the cork grip, put the grip on a mandrel and turn it to match up with your Ebony end pieces, then you will only have to ream out the cork to fit it to the rod blank, if you use a Mandrel to turn your cork. Same method if you mount your rings individually to the blank, then turn.

Another option if your not into turning something that dense, find a wood species that you can dye or stain, Ebony also has some weight to it compared to other wood species.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 06, 2018 11:45AM

I use Ebony quite a bit for for building fly rod grips. As Bill mentions above, it is dense, but turns very well and will finish very smooth and clear. I use it whee I want a black feature, be it grip ends or accent rings in the grip. I find it no harder to deal with then other hardwoods, like maple, etc.

In my building of grips, I turn the materials to a round oversize, then bore to a mandrel diameter I wish to use. If the grip is all wood, I bore to 20mm and insert a foam core to reduce the grip weight. After gluing up all the pieces, I turn the finished grip shape and size.

Posted by: John Wright (---.om.om.cox.net)
Date: April 29, 2018 09:09AM

Thanks everyone. After some additional consideration and a review of my current inventory, I have decided to go with some EVA that I bought a while back. I ordered some black and red pen blanks that I will turn for the reel inserts. Should work fine.

Again, many thanks for the advice, I still want to use Ebony on future build, but maybe just as accent rings.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster