I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Telescopic bobber rod
Posted by: Kyle Koch (---.arvig.net)
Date: April 05, 2018 12:34PM

Hey guys. I’m new to this page. I’ve been building rods now for a few years. Mostly for myself, friends and coworkers. I got a request for a rod for a slip bobber rod for fishing walleyes up here in Minnesota. Looking for a 8’-8.5’ medium/light fast action blank with a telescopic butt section. Not looking for a traditional 2 piece blank. Would like to be able to collapse a 8.5’ rod down to about 6.5’. Main reason for this is so the rod can fit into regular rod lockers in a boat most of which are limited to 7’. Thanks for any help you can give.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Telescopic bobber rod
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 05, 2018 01:53PM

don't think they make any that long and light most tele rod blanks start at 1/4-1 ounce 7 ft-6 in called flipping sticks ,
your pretty much left with 2 piece rods you would be better off with a 7 ft med light 1 piece blank easier to control the fish when hooked

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (107.77.83.---)
Date: April 05, 2018 03:39PM

Batson has a 9’2” rated at 1/4-5/8 so depending on how heavy your setup is it might work.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: April 05, 2018 03:59PM

hi Matthew, who makes the 1 ounce teley you are refering to? Thanks..

Posted by: Kyle Koch (---.sub-174-219-140.myvzw.com)
Date: April 05, 2018 04:40PM

The point of the longer rod is to be able to pick a lot of line on the hook set when bobber fishing water over 15ft.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2018 08:53PM

I fish water that deep with a 5 ft. 10 in. rod regularly, what am I missing? Proper blank design trumps rod length without reinventing the wheel.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 06, 2018 12:38AM

you can some sweat equity and a couple of things build it your self with
if it need not be sensitive you can get one of the telescoping cane type poles and use either the butt section or the second section from the butt and hall out the dial caliper and measure the top end for diameter and search for a 7 ft blank close to that dia and insert the 7 ft blank in to the butt section mark it and slid it out and see how much you have in the butt section and carefully trim the butt of the tip blank till you have about 6 inches of tip blank in the butt .
remember that the longer the butt section the fewer guides you will have for the line train and there will be a huge gap between the butt guide and the first guide on the tip that is why you don't see these type of blanks much more than 7' 6" with an 18 inch but section you stripper guide is at the 36.5 inch mark a great blank for casting style reels as a spiral wrap does it justice but for spinning not so much.
We here in Wi. fish eyes as much as you do in Minn. and most prefer 6'6" - 7 ' rods as you have to consider the hook set distance your moving the line with a rod that long. standing in a boat you are any where from 12 - 24 inches above the water 6 ' 6 " rod line lift take up is almost 12-14 feet all ready because you have taken up the slack line or let the fish bring up the tension before hook set just lifting the rod up takes up most of the line length from where the line touches the water and the length of the rod with being only a foot above the water with a 6'6' rod you all ready taking up 13+ feet of line so thinking you really need a longer rod shouldn't be even thought of when using a slip bobber float rig.
how you come to these calculations is you attach your bobber stop and place it just at the bail roller and strip out enough line so that with the hook meets the butt of the rod there is the distance the line travels on a hook set from the top of the water to the tip of the rod. yea I know it sounds silly but if you don't think it is correct just try it for your self and you find it bares true to what I have posted. I though most had knowledge of this since the use of slip floats has been around since the 40's I my self have been using them my self since the late 50's realized it in the early 60's that you took up so much line with this type of rigging fishing for pan fish
Hey good luck fishing the eyes this season

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Scott Appley (---.glt-wy.client.bresnan.net)
Date: April 06, 2018 03:32PM

May want to look at this system might work very well with a lighter rod blank.

[www.mudhole.com]

Posted by: Sid Thao (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: April 12, 2018 08:24PM

Kyle, asked my buddy google “bobber rod blanks” and limit creek came up. They have an 8’3” ML fast action telescopic rod down to 6’4”. Never tried their blanks but be interested if you decided to give them a go! Otherwise I know the old St. Croix legend tournament 8’ slip stick was telescopic if you can find one. Good luck!

Posted by: Sid Thao (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: April 12, 2018 08:49PM

Oops, limit creek isn’t a blank!

Posted by: Kyle Koch (---.wcta.net)
Date: April 15, 2018 08:51PM

Ya Limit Creek is originally where I got the idea. I have contacted them about getting a blank but their rods come from over seas and don’t have just blanks available. And ever since I started building my own rods I just can’t see myself buying off the shelf again. Seems like once I started building my own and being able to customize and tweaking a whole rod the way I want it nothing else feels as good. Not to mention the satisfaction a guy gets catching fish on a rod you built yourself. Think I’ll have to start watching garage sales for a rod with a heavier butt section that I can strip and rebuild. Thanks for all the help and ideas.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster