I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Single foot stripping guide?
Posted by: Derik Lee (---.cncdnh.east.myfairpoint.net)
Date: April 04, 2018 06:40PM

Hey I'm working on a fiberglass rod and I got single foot Fuji guides for the rod. I'm wondering if there is anyone who makes a single foot stripping guide I can't seem to find anything of the sort. Is there a reason no one seems to be making a single foot stripping guide? Could I just use an appropriately sized single foot guide without any ill effect on a 5wt fiberglass?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Single foot stripping guide?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 04, 2018 07:52PM

The stripping guide is whatever guide you put there. There is no such thing as a specialty stripping guide. Put whatever you want in that butt guide position and call it a stripping guide. Look at any spinning type guide, or a single foot casting guide. Although I prefer the former.

Date: April 04, 2018 07:56PM

That's exactly what I just ended up doing actually and figured I'd just go with it.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 04, 2018 08:41PM

Fiberglass blanks tend to be a lot more rugged than graphite blanks, and double-foot guides, especially big guides, tend to be a lot more rugged than single foot guides.

Date: April 05, 2018 07:00AM

Figured if it doesn't work out I'll just cut it out and put the appropriate guide in later.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 05, 2018 06:29PM

Derik Lee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Figured if it doesn't work out I'll just cut it
> out and put the appropriate guide in later.

That's just an excuse to build another rod. It will work. I did a med light 7'6" baitcaster rod like that in the nineties to keep the weight down and have had no issues. Those high frame single foot spinning guides are on all kinds of stuff and hardly have any issues.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2018 09:21PM

The single foot guides are built on spinning rods with far more power and subjected to far more real world abuse than any of my fly rods with decades of use behind them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster