I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod repair
Posted by: Lee Bossley (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 02, 2018 09:26AM

I have a light wt. saltwater rod to repair, replace the eyes. What is a far price to charge for this service?

Thanks for any help Lee

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod repair
Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 02, 2018 10:29AM

IMHO 8.50-10.00 per guide plus the cost of the new guide. I may be cheap.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Posted by: Lee Bossley (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 02, 2018 10:33AM

Thanks Ray that's what I needed.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 02, 2018 07:17PM

Take your hourly rate and multiply by the time spent doing the job.

If you work quickly, then double or triple your hourly charge.

Your job, your charge.

Good luck

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.25.29.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 03, 2018 09:43AM

I'm with Ray on the charge. I get $10.00 per, plus the cost of the guide. If there is a trim wrap, I charge a dollar extra. There isn't a lot of income generated by this but it does bring in a lot of people who want a rod built.

Date: April 03, 2018 10:46AM

It seems like we should do what my dentist did yesterday.

I came into the office with a crown that had pulled off of a tooth. I was in the dental chair for 40 minutes getting the crown glued back on my tooth.

Then, I walked to the business office and gave the lady a check for $160. They had about $10 in materials for gluing the crown on. So, that meant that they were charging about $280 per hour.

So, if you take 30 minutes to completely change a guide - you could charge $140 for the work if you were getting paid the same as the dentist. 5 guides to be replaced on a rod for only $700 at dental rates.

Good luck

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 03, 2018 10:51AM

Roger you need another dentist! I had a crown that came off and my dentist put it back on for no charge.
Norm

Date: April 03, 2018 03:30PM

Norman,
I suppose that it was to help pay for a new dental chair. He was telling me that he is needing a new dental chair, and the new chair is only $25,000.

That is a lot of $100 bills to pay for the chair. But, of course the practice does not only need one chair, it needs 3 chairs so that is $75.000 for overhead this year.

Good luck

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 03, 2018 08:21PM

I guess the point I was trying to make is that my dentist has a thriving practice, because not only iis he an excellent dentist but also treats his patients well. He put the crown on initially at a market price, and thought if it came off later it was his responsibility to make it right. It only took him 10 min to glue it back in place. These are things that should apply to all businesses, including rod building. Do a good job and treat your customers fairly, and they will come back and recommend you to others.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster