I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide train questions
Posted by: Jason Strength (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2018 09:21PM

Ok guys need some help with guide train on a 7'2" casting rod. I'm currently at 11 guides using 5.5 for runners. Does this sound like an excessive amount of guides? Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide train questions
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 29, 2018 09:27PM

How about a little more info? Line and lure weight ratings, How far from the line guide of the reel to the butt guide at present?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2018 09:33PM by Lynn Behler.

Date: March 29, 2018 09:59PM

Probably 20 lb braid throwing to snook and reds. Currently butt guide is 23" from line guide

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2018 07:33AM

Jason,
If you are using micros, it is about the right number,
If you are using size 6 runners, you could reduce that to 8 or 9
If you were using size 10 runners you could likely reduce it to 6 or 7.

If you were doing a spiral wrap you could likely be using 7.

If you don't care about the line rubbing against the blank, or going under the blank - which some rods do, then 6 or 7 guides would be fine.

Good luck

Posted by: David DeBruhl (170.7.248.---)
Date: March 30, 2018 08:47AM

Jason,
I don't think that is excessive. The last build for me was a 7' MHF NFC MB705 with the butt guide 19" from the reel guide and I had 10 guides not counting the tip. I used KW10, KW5.5M, and KB : KT runners of 5.0. I thought 10 was excessive also, but with the static load that's what it came out to. I probably could have dropped to 9 but the line would have rubbed. In the library is a good article for static load testing. I'll see if I can link you to it.The rod casts great with 10 guides and no issues so far. Hope this helps.

Posted by: Jason Strength (162.247.209.---)
Date: March 30, 2018 09:36AM

Thanks so much guys. Just don't want to mess up the performance by putting on to many guides. I'm trying top keep the line off the blank as much as possible. I am finding that near the tip of the rod some of my guides have ended up about equal distances apart to keep the line from connecting the blank. Should there be equal distance from line to blank between all the guides or will this vary some throughout?

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2018 12:27PM

With 5.5 mm guides, you are likely at a guide or two more than you need. I try to keep the relationship between the line and the blank the same between each pair of guides on a casting rod. However, it may vary just a bit down toward the reel.

With single foot fly guides of 3mm - 4mm, I let the line just touch the blank between each pair of guides during the static test. Making sure that the line never drops below the blank. With 5mm - 6mm guides, I'll try to keep the line a couple mm above the blank between each pair of guides. If the guides near the reel are larger or taller double foot guides, I may keep the line a little higher off the blank between the guides. It really depends on how the line path is looking.

With 5.5 mm guides, I would say that you are definitely 1 guide, possibly 2 guides on the side of too many.

When you do your static test start at the tip and work back. Don't start with a presupposed location for the guide closest to the reel. Let the guide closest to the reel land where it may. The line is already leaving a 4mm guide or so on your reel, so you aren't trying to gather and/or tame the line the same way you are with a spinning reel. You can do some test casting to determine if you need to shift it around later. When starting from the tip, I typically find that guides 2, 3, and 4 or so back from the tip end up with a little closer spacing than the last guide to the tip. Those guides fall in that 10" - 20" range where your guide is most likely to fail during high sticking, so a little closer spacing there is a good thing. Then as you go back toward the reel, the gap typically widens between each pair of guides.

If you don't like the slinky look of that guide, that is where adding in that extra guide and tweaking the layout a bit helps. You can space the guides equally with about the smallest gap that you found in that first 18" - 24" and then go to a progressive spacing after, or even tweak things a bit so that there is still some progressive spacing near the tip.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 30, 2018 06:33PM

There you go Jason, great advice and It saved me a lot of very slow typing. Good luck with it.

Date: March 30, 2018 07:10PM

Guy guys are awesome. Thanks a million!!!

Date: March 30, 2018 11:20PM

So, here's where I'm at. I've pulled the 11th guide and now at 10. After some tweaking and moving around I've got guides spaced to where the line is only lightly touching the blank between running guides 3-7 or so. Question now is, do i add the 11th guide back in to get the line off the blank more or just go with it? Butt guide is 23" from level wind of reel and first guide from top is about 3" with the next 2 or 3 guides about the same distance apart. How am i doing?

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 02, 2018 09:03PM

Would a spiral guide configuration reduce the number of guides?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 02, 2018 11:50PM

Phil,
Compare the number of guides on a rod blank that is wrapped with casting guides in a conventional fashion.

Then, take the same blank and wrap it with a spinning reel seat and spinning guides.

Now, take the number of spinning guides and add one additional guide and that is the likely number of guides that you will use on a spiral wrap.

If you are doing your conventional casting rod with micro guides, you will likelly be using about 3-5 fewer guides with a spiral wrap compared to a conventional casting rod set up with micro guides.

Take care

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster