I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

epoxy over cured epoxy?
Posted by: Rick Elrod (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 29, 2018 08:43AM

Can I apply thread master epoxy over top of Pro kote epoxy? The pro kote is about 3 mos.old.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: epoxy over cured epoxy?
Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: March 29, 2018 09:12AM

yes

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: March 29, 2018 11:48AM

to get the best BOND of the 2 use a pad on the Pro Kote to ruff it up a little

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 29, 2018 12:03PM

1) solvent clean the area to remove any oils or wax.

2) Abraid the area with 400 grit paper or scotch brite pad

3) Dry wipe the area

4) Apply new layer of epoxy

Good luck

John

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: March 29, 2018 12:05PM

I just did the same thing last night.... no sanding... wiped off with water and applied a new coat.. no issues.

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Posted by: Rick Elrod (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 29, 2018 12:32PM

Thanks guys!

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: March 29, 2018 08:08PM

Just remember an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure , ruff up the wrap , take a min an wipe the rap down with DNA just in case you got any oil it, it is worth the couple of min's of your time , I think , do it after you ruff the rap up , it will not hurt , plus you will get the old epoxy dust off that you created by , build a good rod ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2018 07:48AM

Bill,
Good advice, but I have been burned in the past by wiping a coated wrap off with DNA and then recoating with thread finish.

I suspect that - depending on the circumstances, possibly all of the DNA does not evaporate. As a result of the failure that I had with one recoat - doing a DNA wipe down after getting ready to finish, I no longer will use any solvents or cleaners following a prep for a thread finish.

Rather, I just use masking tape to tack off any dust or any thing else that might have gotten on the rod and then recoat. I have never had an issue using masking tape to tack off the rod between coats rather than doing a solvent wipe down.

It may work for you- great. It did not work for me on one rod, so I have never used it again.

Good luck

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 30, 2018 01:44PM

Hello All.

I'm with Roger on this "NEVER" end a prep with a solvent wipe down, wipe-down then rough-up, wipe-off with a clean-dry lint-free towel then blow-off or tack-off.

Solvents are "Always First".

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster