I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

TIP top for a fly rod ??
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: March 27, 2018 12:11PM

I have built a lot of fly rods [ well not do many ,] here is the problem , I have ordered some fly blanks from a name supplier , [ no name ] the tip size is like 4.1 or 4.2
these seem like an odd size to me , not the normal , what is the normal way of dealing with it , [CARBON rod] do you just get a size that will fit over, then fill with glue an thread ??
I don't want to sand it down to size , give me some direction , thanks for the in put , I think I have answered my own question , [ fill ] to the next size an use thread an glue ,

William Sidney
AK

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TIP top for a fly rod ??
Posted by: John Van Emmerik (---.static.reno.nv.highlandswireless.com)
Date: March 27, 2018 12:19PM

You don't want to sand the tip. Get a 4.5 tip. It may be a slightly loose fit but no matter. I use 5 min. epoxy on tips but thermo tip glue works fine. When you wrap thread up against the tip tube and apply finish it will look right.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 27, 2018 01:41PM

What John wrote; do not sand the blank tip to fit a smaller tip top.

If you had rather not make a tip top wrap and there is a noticeable gap between the blank and base of the tip top tube, a tiny bit of thread wrap finish epoxy, about an 1/8' wide or less, on the blank at the base of the tip top tube will form a ramp of sorts that makes any gap between the tip top tube and blank almost disappear.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 27, 2018 08:29PM

If the tip top is slightly small, and close to fitting, and If the blank is painted or has a clear finish I just scrape the finish off the tip of the blank with a utility knife and install the tip top with hot melt tip top cement. Removing the finish from the tip will do alsolutely no harm. If you do not want to do this then use the next size larger tip top. I personally will not use epoxy to install a tip top, and that includes the 5 min stuff; in my opinion not worth the problems it may cause.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2018 09:12PM

I just would use a size 4.5 tip and do a thread tip wrap and let the wrap extend down the rod as would be the normal case for a tip wrap when it is used.

If you find that you need more thickness, then in the area of the tip only, do a double thick wrap and then down to a single layer wrap for the rest of the tip wrap.

Easy to do, glues up nicely and you have the nice finished thread wrap look to the tip without having to do anything else.

Good luck

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: March 27, 2018 11:19PM

Thanks for all the info

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 02, 2018 04:41PM

I have a set of really small drills and have drilled the tip top to fit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster