I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel Seat Suggestions
Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 27, 2018 01:00AM

I am about to put together a new 8 wt fly rod with a NFC 9' 4 pc blank and am looking at some reel seats. I am using a foam and carbon fiber full wells grip and would like to pair it with a modern looking and light reel seat. I would like your opinions and recommendations for reel seats that will fit what I have just described (modern looking and light). I have an idea of a few brands and models but would like the opinion and ideas that you may have. I am going to add a short fighting but and I do not like the removable kind so I will glue it to the but of the blank coming out the back of the reel seat (about 3/4"). I think I can make it under 4 oz so that is what I am shooting for.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel Seat Suggestions
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 27, 2018 08:06AM

Lance

You did not indicate if the intended use might include salt water. An 8 weight is well suited to the salt flats and the preservation of the option for such use from both corrosion and strength perspectives ought to be considered for all hardware selections.

I've frequently used REC reel seats for 8 weights and above without issues as they satisfy the strength and corrosion resistance requirements. More specifically, I've used the REC model RFTS and been pleased with the features and results on 8, 9, and 10 weight rods.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 27, 2018 09:25AM

Hard to beat any of the quality nylon/graphite type seats for this application.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.tc.ph.cox.net)
Date: March 27, 2018 10:14AM

We use the Lemke Concepts for all those types of builds

Ron Weber

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2018 10:41AM

Agree with Tom, completely trouble free, no loosening, no seizing, if you want a bit more bling find a Fuji Cobra 16 mm reel seat or a carbon flber insert for a skeleton version of the same.

Posted by: Seth Johnson (---.williams.com)
Date: March 27, 2018 10:47AM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Agree with Tom, completely trouble free, no
> loosening, no seizing, if you want a bit more
> bling find a Fuji Cobra 16 mm reel seat or a
> carbon flber insert for a skeleton version of the
> same.

Sorry to hijack, but are y'all talking about using something like a regular Fuji DPSM?

Date: March 27, 2018 11:14AM

Yep, DPSM16B, or the Corba version if you can still find one, or a skeletonized version of the same with a carbon fiber center insert.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2018 11:22AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: March 27, 2018 05:43PM

DPSM works pretty good on spin, fly, and even casting but that,s all it does is work..lol.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 27, 2018 07:26PM

Yes it is for mostly saltwater.

Date: March 27, 2018 09:14PM

The Fuji seat will never fail you, it will take probably more abuse and neglect than my Struble titanium reel seat will.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster