I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Advantages of a spiral wrap
Posted by: Justin Carlson (---.64-179-164.knology.net)
Date: March 21, 2018 07:59PM

Hi guys. I am getting ready to start a new build for myself. I was thinking about doing a spiral wrap on a rod, I kind of understand the concept a little. My question is what is the advantage of a spiral wrap vs just making a spinning rod. Any advice or input on making a spiral would be greatly appreciated so I can gain more information on this type of build. Thanks Jusitn

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Advantages of a spiral wrap
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2018 08:04PM

If your making spinning rods a spiral will do no good, it's for casting rods.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 21, 2018 09:27PM

If you are using a casting reel then a spiral wrap will provide many of the advantages of a spinning rod. If you don't care which reel, just go ahead and build a spinning rod.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 21, 2018 09:36PM

If it is a spinning rod no need to do it and impractical
If it is a casting rod there great advantages when fighting big fish the spiral wrap is designed for casting level wind type reels I do them for most of my customers for muskies and bass

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: March 21, 2018 10:09PM

Go with the spinning..just because of the skip cast..

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 21, 2018 10:53PM

The spiral wrap basically makes a casting rod more stable by eliminating rod torque when fighting large fish. Both spinning and casting outfits have their advantages and disadvantages. For example, Spinning outfits are easy to use and have the advantage of casting lighter lures with lighter line. They also work well in windy conditions. However, they do have problems with line twisting which occurs when reeling against the drag. Baitcasting outfits, have the advantage of better line control and accuracy, and they can also be used with heavier line. However, they take more skill to use effectively and are prone to backlashing. These are just a few of the various advantages and disadvantages of both. The list can go on and on. But basically the choice of spinning vs casting depends on the type of fishing you do.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2018 11:06PM

Justin,
Yes, there are certain advantages to a spiral wrap for a casting rod.

But, there are millions of fishermen who use casting rods and would absolutely never fish with a spiral wrapped rod.

There are certain types of fishing where a non spiral wrapped rod just works better for these applications in the hands of many many fishermen.

As always, it is a choice. Yes, if you want the certain advantages of a spiral wrapped rod, build it as a spiral wrapped casting rod.

But, if you want to use your casting rod for those applications where a non spiral wrapped rod excls, then build it that way.

Good luck

Posted by: Justin Carlson (---.64-179-164.vastbb.net)
Date: March 21, 2018 11:21PM

A lot of great information, Thanks guys. I am planning on using this rod for walleyes using bottom bouncers with spinners. I have 2 bait casters that i use just for bottom bouncers, I havent had any luck casting with them so i use a spinning rod for casting.

Date: March 21, 2018 11:55PM

Justin,
For Bottom bouncing, the use of a spiral wrapped rod makes a lot of sense. I have a couple of such rods myself.

Good luck

Posted by: Robert Ford (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2018 01:37AM

A spiral wrapped rod not only eliminates rod torque when fighting a fish,but also in my opinion is more sensitive due to a more direct contact with the line. I could be wrong about that. You definitely can reduce component weight by utilizing fewer guides. I plan on wrapping several spiral wrapped casting blanks as my rod building skill improves.

Robert Ford

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 22, 2018 11:09AM

Even though spiral wrapped rods cast well, they do have a definite advantage for situations where casting is not that important such as trolling, bottom bouncing, deep jigging, etc. There are a number of different ways to do a spiral wrap, and everyone seems to have their favorite. You can do a search and come with hundreds of posts on this subject, and they all work well.
Norm

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: March 22, 2018 12:11PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Justin,
> Yes, there are certain advantages to a spiral wrap
> for a casting rod.
>
> But, there are millions of fishermen who use
> casting rods and would absolutely never fish with
> a spiral wrapped rod.
>
> There are certain types of fishing where a non
> spiral wrapped rod just works better for these
> applications in the hands of many many fishermen.
>
>
>
> As always, it is a choice. Yes, if you want the
> certain advantages of a spiral wrapped rod, build
> it as a spiral wrapped casting rod.
>
> But, if you want to use your casting rod for those
> applications where a non spiral wrapped rod excls,
> then build it that way.
>
> Good luck

Very interesting take Roger. What applications would a non spiral wrap rod excel over a spiral wrapped rod?

Posted by: Bruce Phillips (---.sub-174-234-135.myvzw.com)
Date: March 22, 2018 01:12PM

Does the spiral wrap hinder the casting distance?

I have an 8 foot MH MHX rod blank for crank baits coming for a casting rod for myself to build and thinking about doing the spiral wrap(acid rod) build.

Date: March 22, 2018 02:25PM

Terry,
One application where a lot of fishermen dislike using a spiral wrapped rod is for tip down fishing. There are certain kinds of fishing - like jerk bait fishing where much of the time the tip of the rod is pointed down, nearly touching the water. Then the standing fishermen is jerking the rod tip toward them.

Another place where a spiral wrap is not suitable is for very heavy ocean fishing where roller guides and 200 lb test line are used when catching blue fish, marlin and tuna.

Good luck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2018 06:25PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Rick Elrod (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 22, 2018 07:59PM

If done correctly no. I have only built 1 such rod but I can tell no difference in casting distance.

Rick

Posted by: Leonard Letukas (---.sctnpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 22, 2018 08:12PM

I built eight rods with spiral wraps five were for myself and I use them for jigging ,jerkbaits,spinnerbaits,swimjigs and many other techniques and never had a problem and no problem with accuracy. You will like it make sure you wrap towards the handle side.good luck and have fun

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 22, 2018 08:22PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Terry,
> One application where a lot of fishermen dislike
> using a spiral wrapped rod is for tip down
> fishing. There are certain kinds of fishing - like
> jerk bait fishing where much of the time the tip
> of the rod is pointed down, nearly touching the
> water. Then the standing fishermen is jerking the
> rod tip toward them.
>
> Another place where a spiral wrap is not suitable
> is for very heavy ocean fishing where roller
> guides and 200 lb test line are used when
> catching blue fish, marlin and tuna.
>
> Good luck

Odd. I made a good living building them that way just for that type heavy saltwater fishing. I thought they excelled in that arena.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 22, 2018 09:17PM

I think they do also Tom. I believe the original intent was for offshore rods due to the twist factor from the pull. The rod stays in an upright position without anchors. The application of spiral wrapped guides has many advantages but the only advantage that I have heard of with conventional wrapped baitcasters is for certain types of trolling. Where the tip can be seen in an upright position when it is essential to set the hook with the most subtle bite. Basically the fish takes the bait at the same speed of the trolling and mouths it until it figures out it is something it doesn't want and spits it. The bight in this case can barely be noticeable except for slight irregular movement of the tip top. Justin make the spiral wrap, you won't be disappointed.

Posted by: Bruce Phillips (---.sub-174-234-135.myvzw.com)
Date: March 22, 2018 09:31PM

Should i use single footed guides or double footed guides ?, i think the guides i have ordered are single footed. Thanks.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.lightspeed.irvnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 23, 2018 12:39AM

Tom and Lance,
I believe Roger’s comment against certain applications of spiral wrapped rods stemmed from IF using roller guides. I had never thought about it before, but now that I have, it might make sense. Roger is a proponent of spiral wrapped rods and was one of a number of you on this site who encouraged me to try it. Hopefully, Roger will expand and enlighten us on the spiral wrap / roller guide issue.
By the way, thanks to all who did encourage me. The benefits are profound. While not as necessary for rods less than 20lb, any rods I build over 20lb will be spiraled unless dictated otherwise.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster