I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

North Fork ?HS 821-1 (HM)
Posted by: Justin Carlson (---.64-179-164.knology.net)
Date: March 19, 2018 09:35PM

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone has used a North Fork ?HS 821-1 (HM) for a walleye rod. I asked them and they recommended the HS series in the salmon steel head category. I will be using it for pulling spinners with bottom bouncers ranging from one ounce up to two ounces if needed. It says this will handle up to 4 ounces so I was wondering if I should go down a size also. Any information would be a big help as I want to take advantage of the half off sale they have going on now. Thanks Justin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: North Fork ?HS 821-1 (HM)
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.44.---)
Date: March 20, 2018 12:29AM

Great choice, it's a classic, the design has been used as a hot shot rod, walleye rod, and inshore saltwater rod in three series of rods in the G Loomis line. They just installed appropriate components to the same blank. I don't think HM material is necessary in a trolling rod, IM would be fine, usually gives a tip that's easier to read, since it's a bit less stiff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2018 07:24PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Doug Schreiber (12.175.21.---)
Date: March 20, 2018 06:41PM

That is a great blank for what you are looking at doing, I wouldn't change a thing. Don't use a standard steelhead handle. The handle will be the key for you. Make one that fits from your fore arm to your palm of your hand. Also, if you use planner boards, it is the best. Look into spiral wrapping the guides. I am building three very similar right now using NFC blanks.

See you on the water, Doug
Captain Paddlefoot

Posted by: Justin Carlson (---.64-179-164.knology.net)
Date: March 20, 2018 07:53PM

Thanks for the response you guys.
Doug I was thinking about cutting it down to 7 foot. 8 foot is too big for my boat. I thought about doing a spiral wrap but I was wanting to try it out on a cheeper rod. I might consider doing a spiral but I will have to do some more research on it. Do you have any pictures of yours? I was thinking of using Winn grips for this but all I can find is split grips and I kind of want a full grip. I may have to make a cork handle for it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2018 07:56PM by Justin Carlson.

Posted by: herb canter (---.dsl.atmc.net)
Date: March 21, 2018 07:25AM

Wow, i just looked up the specs on this particular model and it fits the criteria perfectly for an inshore saltwater rod , legit fast action, 8 feet in length and can handle 3/4-4 oz weight range, that is perfection to me . I would have never known about if not for Justin posting questions about it.

Thanks Justin

Posted by: herb canter (---.dsl.atmc.net)
Date: March 21, 2018 07:25AM

Dup

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2018 07:26AM by herb canter.

Posted by: Aleks Maslov (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2018 03:19PM

Herb, all, if it will help, I can put one on the flex-board for you guys.

herb canter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow, i just looked up the specs on this particular
> model and it fits the criteria perfectly for an
> inshore saltwater rod , legit fast action, 8 feet
> in length and can handle 3/4-4 oz weight range,
> that is perfection to me . I would have never
> known about if not for Justin posting questions
> about it.
>
> Thanks Justin

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.43.---)
Date: March 21, 2018 04:06PM

Need an idea what your getting? Inshore, Look up G Loomis GWR981S. Hotshot, HSR981C.

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.87.---)
Date: March 22, 2018 05:40PM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Need an idea what your getting? Inshore, Look up G
> Loomis GWR981S. Hotshot, HSR981C.

Thanks Phil , glad i looked it up , seems to not have the stiffness in the tip that i like, more like a very beefy lower and mid section with a soft tip .

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2018 07:41PM

It's a hot shot blank, by definition an x fast soft tipped rod. The first blank/rod ever developed for fishing hot shots for salmon/steelhead. I believe Tom K. Has some experience extending a 2 power the same length for fishing the salt for fish of all sizes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster