I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Suggestions on first build
Posted by: Gary Frank Gore (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2018 10:04PM

First post/first build start to finish. I have replaced guides/fixed other stuff on rods before, just never started with a fresh blank..... I've been reading a lot on the forum & hoping I include all the relevant info below to answer my questions.

I am building a rod to throw live eels & bucktails for cobia. Reel is a Shimano Stradic 8000. Plan on using 40-50 lb braid on the reel & 60-80lb flouro for leaders.

Blank I have chosen (open to suggestions) is the MHX SW76H with Fuji K-Series Double foot gunsmoke SIC, 30/20/12/10-10-10-10-10-10-10 top. Top would be the MG series MGST-10-7.5 Any suggestions/alterations? I know I may have an extra running guide, but would rather order more than not be able to finish. Plan on doing the static load test to see where the running guides should go.

I had originally planned on using alconite and size 8 running guides but couldnt find a matching tip top.

Reel seat is the American Tackle AH-20M-B-BL. Thinking that is the one to go with rather than the 18 size....??

Grips were going to be the CFX carbon fiber - RG1175.FG325 with an american taxkle gimbal butt ATG-1-BL

Thanks for any help, suggestions, or alterations,

Frank

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Suggestions on first build
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 12, 2018 10:03PM

I never pre-select my guides. The line path will tell you what you need. To use a 12 and then a 10 probably isn't likely. You should be able to go from the 20 to either the 12 or the 10. You just have to set it up and look at it. Or, use one of the sizing and spacing systems on the AR website for those guides.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2018 02:32PM

Just a thought on using the CFX carbon fiber grips on the type of rod you're building. They're awesome grips, but they are sized, outside diameter wise, more towards freshwater rods. Their OD is 1.06"

Based on what I've seen being used on TV and from my dad's saltwater rods, the grips on rods of that line class have a larger diameter. Which makes sense to me as I would think larger, but not overly large diameter grips would cause less hand fatigue over a longer fight with a fish the size of Cobia. Just something to consider.

If you are willing to try building your own CFX grip, you could get the kit from Mudhole and assuming you have a way of turning it, if needed, and build one yourself. It's not hard, and actually quite fun. The foam core that comes in the kit has an OD of 1.15. Adding the carbon fiber sleeve adds about .050" so you'd end up with a grip with an OD around 1.2"

I know it doesn't seem like much, but at least to me, that difference in diameter feels much larger than it actually measures. Just a thought.

Posted by: Gary Frank Gore (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2018 11:06PM

Thanks for the input.

Had not thought about the size of the grip in my hand. This rod is replacing one that had a grip that I just measured at 1.34", so 1.06 would be a noticeable difference.

On the guides the 12 to the 10 did seem odd, but I had seen many others post similar guide trains. Guess I'll just end up ordering extras.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster