I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First Rod Build
Posted by: Robert Ford (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2018 08:00PM

Hello all. I've been lurking here for a while now and enjoy the wealth of sharing and information here. I recently ordered an MHX S871-2 rod kit which came with a micro guide set. There are ten guides in the set. Seems like overkill to me but I have no experience with these particular guides. Any suggestions on whether I need 10 guides on a 7 foot spinning rod? These guides are tiny,I'm gonna have to use a headlamp and xtra strong reading glasses just to wrap them lol. Thank you all in advance.

Robert Ford

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First Rod Build
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 08, 2018 08:22PM

Usually a 7 foot spinning rod is good with 8 guides + the tiptop, but I suggest you utilize a stress test to determine if you need more than 8. Check out the library and other on-line sources for instructions on doing that if you are not already familiar with it. The biggest challenge on the running guides of course is their spacing as determined by the stress test, and the challenge with the reduction guides is their spacing determined by best casting performance, with the stress test secondary.

By the way, what guides are they? Brand, ring size, model. You'll get some good help from the forum if the members know more about your guides.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 08, 2018 08:40PM

If it's a Mudhole kit try giving them a call or drop them a note. They've probably answered the question before.

Last rod I built with a micro guide set I found it easier to tape the guides in place for the load tests, record the final guide positions, remove the guides and tape, and then use the Flex Coat or CRB guide foot adhesive to hold the guides in place while wrapping.

Date: March 08, 2018 08:43PM

They are Pro Concept CRB Elite Guides.

Robert Ford

Date: March 08, 2018 08:45PM

Donald La Mar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If it's a Mudhole kit try giving them a call or
> drop them a note. They've probably answered the
> question before.
>
> Last rod I built with a micro guide set I found it
> easier to tape the guides in place for the load
> tests, record the final guide positions, remove
> the guides and tape, and then use the Flex Coat or
> CRB guide foot adhesive to hold the guides in
> place while wrapping.

Thank you for that. I figured the guide foot adhesive was the way to go. I will call Mudhole tomorrow when I have time. Appreciate the rapid response!

Robert Ford

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 08, 2018 09:22PM

Are you building a spinning or casting rod?

Date: March 09, 2018 03:21AM

Dang I thought I mentioned that. It's a spinning rod.

Robert Ford

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.clv.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 09, 2018 05:05AM

Have you considered using the Micro wave air guides? There pretty slick and work great not expensive! Especially easy for a new Successful builder, Very easy to set-up, Just follow the directions, And they work nice and smooth, I have more then a few people ask specifically for these guides on rods I build for them. [www.americantackle.us]
[www.mudhole.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2018 05:20AM by Jay Dubay.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.jst.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: March 09, 2018 06:12AM

Robert

You do not have to use all of the guides that came with the set. Use what you think will make a well thought out guide train and keep the extras for spares.

Rog

Posted by: Bruce Phillips (---.sub-174-234-128.myvzw.com)
Date: March 09, 2018 10:52AM

I just built a CRB blank using mudholes kit, it's a 6'6" casting rod and i put all 9 guides on it as per the package and CRB's guide placement. I'm building a 7' MHX spinning rod now and intend to use all 9 guides as per there guide placement guide as i figure it's there blank and they know best.

Date: March 09, 2018 11:13AM

Bruce Phillips Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just built a CRB blank using mudholes kit, it's
> a 6'6" casting rod and i put all 9 guides on it as
> per the package and CRB's guide placement. I'm
> building a 7' MHX spinning rod now and intend to
> use all 9 guides as per there guide placement
> guide as i figure it's there blank and they know
> best.

Bruce that is kind of what I was thinking as well. I am going to play around with it.

Robert Ford

Posted by: Robert Mckee (---.126.140.67.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 09, 2018 12:52PM

If you stick with the advice that you get from the experts at mudhole you will be in good shape. Go slow you with the build.

Posted by: Robert Mckee (---.126.140.67.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 09, 2018 12:52PM

If you stick with the advice that you get from the experts at mudhole you will be in good shape. Go slow you with the build.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2018 04:04PM

As Roger said, just because a guide kit comes with a certain number of guides,doesn't mean you have to use them all. In fact, I'd much prefer a guide kit have too many guides, than not have enough. As Michael pointed out, you'll want to use the static load method for placing your running guides. How closely you want the line's path to match the curve of the blank under load, is going to go into determining how many guides you need. With spinning rods you can usually get away with fewer guides than you'd need on a conventionally wrapped casting rod, simply because you don't have to deal with spacing the guides so the line barely touches, or doesn't touch the blank at all.

With that said, you still don't want to space the guides too far apart because it will over flex the blank, and could cause conditions that may put the blank in jeopardy of breaking. For me personally, I will always err on the side of having what some would consider, too many guides, in lieu of not having enough. I know guide train weight, especially running guide weight, hurts rod performance, but I'm ok with that.

Date: March 09, 2018 08:00PM

Being my first build I have decided to go with the recommended number of guides and use the spacing chart. I will be sure to test the guides prior to wrapping. I just glued the handle all up and I'm excited!

Robert Ford

Date: March 11, 2018 12:16PM

Update: I did a load test and really like mudhole's layout. I also spent a half hour looking for one of those damn micro guides I dropped on my floor with a flashlight and extra strong readers lol. Thanks all for the good advice . I will post up some pics of my first rod build!

Robert Ford

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.clv.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 11, 2018 08:55PM

{Quote I also spent a half hour looking for one of those damn micro guides} Boy think we have all been their!! Ha, Enjoy it sounds like it's coming together just fine!! Cheers Jaa

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2018 09:28PM

Jay,
The simple solution for working with micro guides is to lay down a couple of 4x8 sheets of white hardboard. That way, when a guide falls on the floor, it is easy to spot against the white background.
One of the main reasons that my work shop has white walls, white ceiling and cream colored floors. Lots of light and easy to find things.

[www.homedepot.com]

Date: March 19, 2018 02:02AM

I want to thank all of you for your suggestions. I built my first rod ,and it came out pretty good! My friend told me it looked as good as anything he sees in stores. I will be building many more in the future. Thanks again !!

Robert Ford

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster