I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

St. Croix SCII blanks, 2SW70MF vs 2C70MF
Posted by: Seth Johnson (---.williams.com)
Date: March 07, 2018 02:12PM

Are these St. Croix SCII blanks, 2SW70MF and 2C70MF, the same blank outside of the color? The butts are the same diameter, tips are the same diameter (the SW version claims a 5.5 tip, but it's really a 6), upper line weight and upper lure weight are the same. Just curious because I like the performance of the SW blank a lot, but am not a huge fan of the color.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: St. Croix SCII blanks, 2SW70MF vs 2C70MF
Posted by: herb canter (70.40.107.---)
Date: March 07, 2018 02:30PM

I like the Tidemaster green color blanks myself but thats just me , both models are indeed SC II and if the specs & power ratings are the same as you say they're probably pretty close , identical no but close. Best thing to do is call St. Croix directly , they can even transfer you to Jason the designer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2018 02:31PM by herb canter.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 08, 2018 06:48PM

Looking at the blank catalog they are not the same , the inshore is .4 oz heavier which tells it has thicker walls and more power. I have been told that the inshore blanks are 1/2 a power stronger than the freshwater version.

Date: March 08, 2018 09:36PM

The SW versions are said to be a bit heavier so good call on your part Dave. I actually much prefer the Tidemaster Inshore rods to the Avid Inshore rods , Tidemasters are SC II and Avid Inshore's are SC III but when fishing both models side by side ( Tidemaster 8 foot medium heavy power fast action) and ( Avid 8 foot medium heavy power fast action) both rated( 1/2 -2 oz) the Avid is NOT as crisp as the Tidemaster and the Avid feels slightly heavier with a more mushy feel .

In St. Croixs catalog the Avid is listed as being essentially the same weight and may even be a hair heavier than the equivalent Tidemaster which was surprising to me , higher mod material generally means lighter overall weight but not in this particular case. I know off topic but someone may find that info interesting.

Posted by: Seth Johnson (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2018 09:44PM

herb canter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The SW versions are said to be a bit heavier so
> good call on your part Dave. I actually much
> prefer the Tidemaster Inshore rods to the Avid
> Inshore rods , Tidemasters are SC II and Avid
> Inshore's are SC III but when fishing both models
> side by side ( Tidemaster 8 foot medium heavy
> power fast action) and ( Avid 8 foot medium heavy
> power fast action) both rated( 1/2 -2 oz) the
> Avid is NOT as crisp as the Tidemaster and the
> Avid feels slightly heavier with a more mushy feel
> .
>
> In St. Croixs catalog the Avid is listed as being
> essentially the same weight and may even be a hair
> heavier than the equivalent Tidemaster which was
> surprising to me , higher mod material generally
> means lighter overall weight but not in this
> particular case. I know off topic but someone may
> find that info interesting.

Not so with the 7’ medium fast IMO. I’ve fished them side by side and the SC3 inshore is my go to if cost isn’t a factor. Plus I really like the color. The spec numbers appear to back that up too.

Good info on the 8’ though, thanks!

Date: March 09, 2018 12:02AM

I only own the 8 footers in medium heavy in both the Avid Inshore and Tidemaster lines so i have no idea about the other models , the 8 foot Avid is A LOT more flexible from the midsection upwards to the tiptop than the identical rated Tidemaster . It's a fast action rod for sure which i strongly prefer. Did you figure out what you're going to do yet , did you talk to St.Croix ?

Posted by: Seth Johnson (---.williams.com)
Date: March 09, 2018 11:09AM

David Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looking at the blank catalog they are not the same
> , the inshore is .4 oz heavier which tells it has
> thicker walls and more power. I have been told
> that the inshore blanks are 1/2 a power stronger
> than the freshwater version.

Just got off the phone with St. Croix. The lady I spoke to said these two blanks are the same blank, just different colors. I'm looking at the catalog now, and the weights are both 2.2 oz. The only difference I see in the catalog is the minimum line weight, minimum lure weight, and tip size. The maximum line and lure rating are the same. The tip size on the 2C70MF is listed as a 6, and I can confirm that. The tip size on the 2SW70MF is listed as 5.5, but I just built one and had to go buy a 6 because the 5.5 wouldn't fit, so the tip sizes are the same in real life. All signs point to these being the same thing.

I know Batson's inshore blanks are a 1/2 power heavier, I confirmed that with them over the phone not long ago. The REVCB70MH has a 0.43 butt and a 5 tip, REVIP70MH has a 0.5 butt and a 5.5 tip. Both MH MF blanks in the same lineup. Doesn't appear to be true with St. Croix, though.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2018 07:23PM

Sorry Seth I messed up and looked at the 2S70mf not 2C70mf

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster