I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Custom rod building compared to Tuned Up Custom Rods.
Posted by: James R Gross (---.sub-174-217-29.myvzw.com)
Date: February 28, 2018 07:47AM

Does anyone agree with me that Tuned Up Custom Rods are not custom. Every rod has a cork handle and the blanks are the same. I have been building rods for three years, and no two rods are alike. My customers pick out every part of the rod. I also paint my blanks, if my customers what custom color themes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Custom rod building compared to Tuned Up Custom Rods.
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 28, 2018 08:07AM

There is no definitive definition as to what constitutes a "custom" rod. This is a conversation that has been going on for years with little benefit to anyone. Do what you do and let others do what they want to do.

Posted by: James R Gross (---.sub-174-217-21.myvzw.com)
Date: February 28, 2018 08:19AM

I was doing a show a couple weeks ago. Had all of my custom rods on display to sell. One guy came by and said that your prices are comparabl to Tuned Up Custom Rods. Tuned Up Custom Rods are sold in sporting good stores. So that tells me they are massed produced not custom. I use cork, cork/eva, abs, and Winn grips on my rods. Customer picks out the type of guides and thread color. If they want the blank a special color. I paint it. Now that’s custom.

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: February 28, 2018 11:32AM

Where do you get your custom cork from, how is it more custom than any other cork handle built from cork? Which custom guides do you get and where can one find custom thread? How many custom rods does one have to turn out before they are mass produced?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2018 11:33AM

James,
A custom rod can be any sort of fishing rod that is built to a custom set of requirements.

There can be 500 rods that are all built in an identical fashion. But, all 500 rods can certainly be custom.

It is all in the eyes and words of the person doing the definition.

Good luck

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: February 28, 2018 02:15PM

i,ve had other fisherman ask where i got my rod..i just say it,s homemade and then i get bombarded with questions but if i say it,s custom made they can,t get away from me fast enough..i don,t think custom builders are as respected as they think they are..

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 28, 2018 05:30PM

This custom notion has more definitions or opinions you can shake a stick at. SO I'll add my opinion. Custom to me means something that is designed or fabricated to an individuals specifications for their use. The builder does have some input regarding the process and fabrication constraints but the ultimate decision lies with the customer.

Is the rod I built for myself custom? Hard to say but I can say without fear of contradiction that the rod I built for myself using different combinations of components and materials is "one of a kind" there is not another rod like it on the planet. I can also say that I will never be able to duplicate that rod, I may be able to build others that looks like it but they will never have the feel, karma, soul or bonding of the original.

Ben I have had that happen to me, homemade, cool, mention custom yikes! they feel that the "you can't live without it" hard sell is coming and they balk. So I start off saying "i'm not in the business its a passionate hobby of mine", and talk about the process.

Having said all this the bottom line is nicely offered by Roger.

Thanks for listening

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: February 28, 2018 08:12PM

and very well explained by you John, thanks..

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2018 09:04PM

A tuned custom rod is configured so that when you stike a tuning fork and touch the rod it hums "OHHHMMMMM".

Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (138.162.0.---)
Date: March 01, 2018 06:40AM

I think custom is simply this........ "made to fit the needs or requirements of a particular person". Even if you just wrap the guides in a certain color for a customer it's custom.

Posted by: Tony Tomanek (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2018 11:05AM

Taylored vs Custom?

Posted by: Paul Darby (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: March 01, 2018 01:53PM

To me a Custom rod is one built with direct customer input on its specks, design, component placement and so forth. If you just build a rod and sell it, while its custom to the builder who may build another just like at any time. To me it would be considered a 'limited production' rod . Your mileage may very.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2018 01:55PM by Paul Darby.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 03, 2018 05:18PM

. . . sort of like Tom said.

Posted by: Dominic_Donchig (---.sub-174-210-3.myvzw.com)
Date: March 06, 2018 10:04AM

Terry Kirk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where do you get your custom cork from, how is it
> more custom than any other cork handle built from
> cork? Which custom guides do you get and where
> can one find custom thread? How many custom rods
> does one have to turn out before they are mass
> produced?

Lol

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster