I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Different sized tip top?
Posted by: Cameron Koepp (---.sub-174-232-138.myvzw.com)
Date: February 27, 2018 03:22PM

I am getting ready to build a 7 foot baitcaster. I was planning on starting with a double foot 8 followed by a double foot 7/6 and then have the rest of the running guides be a size 5. Here is my dilemma, the specific guides I’m looking at have to be ordered individually and the smallest tip top that matches the guides I wanted to use is a size 6? So my question is am I going to run into an issue if my running guides are 5s and the tip top is a 6?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Different sized tip top?
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 27, 2018 03:36PM

Aside from possibly looking a little large, no issue.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.static.tie.cl)
Date: February 27, 2018 06:56PM

No x 2

Posted by: Seth Johnson (---.williams.com)
Date: February 28, 2018 08:27AM

Not your question, but you may want to consider a double foot 10 followed by a double foot 5.5 instead of 8 followed by a 7 or 6

Posted by: howard hodges (---.owb.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 28, 2018 07:36PM

Looks at the Alps tip tops. They make a size 5 ring in what ever size tube you need

Posted by: Cameron Koepp (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2018 07:55PM

Seth, Thats a solid thought! I have considered using 6's as my running guides as well just to have everything uniform.

Howard- I looked into their tip tops as well. I am not having too much issues finding the size or color, I am having problems finding the size AND color together.

Basically I found myself my dream reel which is the Abu Garcia Revo Elite Aurora 64 Limited and I was hoping to use the holographic American tackle guides to match the reel.

If I use 6s as my running guides what should my strippers be? 10 straight to 6s? or 10,8,6??

Posted by: Seth Johnson (---.williams.com)
Date: March 01, 2018 09:23AM

The way I do it is using the KR concept, but I'm using Fuji guides. As long as I'm using 5.5 or below runners, I do a KW 10, KW 5.5, then all the same size runners after that. So your guide train would be, KW10, KW 5.5, KB5, KB5, and the KT5 to the tip.

Alternatively, you can use the RV6 stripper followed by two or 3 KB5 and then KT5 to the tip.

The size KW 6 and KB 6 are about 1/2 of a mm difference in height, so you would most likely be fine doing either of these guide trains if you decide to go with size 6 runners
KW10, KW6, KB6, KB6, KT6 to the tip
KW10, KB6, KB6, KB6, KT6 to the tip

I would imagine you could do something similar with any brand of guides.

Posted by: Cameron Koepp (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2018 06:55PM

I am looking at using the Ringlock series from American Tackle.
[www.mudhole.com]
[www.mudhole.com]
[www.mudhole.com]
Mainly because the color of the guides would match the reel i got identically.

If i went with with guides, would 10, 8, then 6's to the tip be sufficient?

Posted by: Seth Johnson (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2018 07:11PM

I’ve never used those guides and don’t know the heights, but I’m going to guess yes. Personally I would skip the 8 and do double foot 10, double foot 6, single foot 6s to the top.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster