I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flyrod blank identification help
Posted by: Mark D Schulte (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2018 06:45AM

An aquantence gave me a flyrod kit with no information about it. He wanted to build it but lost interest. The only thing I have on it is the bag written in marker. SWGF 908-2. If I was a betting man I would say 9' 8wt 2 piece. Am I in the ballpark?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flyrod blank identification help
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 27, 2018 08:02AM

That would be my guess. You can confirm number of pieces and length by observation and measurement. Line weight is frequently a personal preference and typical distance for casts thing.

Posted by: Mark D Schulte (107.77.111.---)
Date: February 27, 2018 09:00AM

Yeah, the 9' and 2 piece were pretty obvious. I was assuming 8 wt because it's heavier than my current 6 wt rod. I'd love if someone recognized that model for mfg. The guy said he did not remember even where he purchased it.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 27, 2018 12:44PM

Take care when you buy or recommend a fly line for this rod once you have built it. It sounds like an older blank. Recently an "arms race" has developed, where "the most powerful eight weight rod" needs a nine or ten weight line to properly load and cast it. Modern line manufacturers have accommodated by turning their 50-year-old AFTMA line weights up a notch or two, further concealing the physical realities of fly fishing from the common people.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 27, 2018 06:56PM

Phil, I've observed this "arms race" when measuring CCS numbers for 8 wt fly rods (they are all about 9) and have an idea for finding the right line for rods, given what's going on now. Let me know your thoughts. Lines are rated by the weight of their first 30 feet, or 30 feet of their higher weight section, or some 30 feet , right? So any line that has the same 30 foot actual weight should cast the same, right? How about taking a length of 15 pound mono, which would weigh almost nothing, and put onto it a length of scrap fly line that weighs what that 30 feet is supposed to weigh. Have one each for the rod (or would it be line?) weights one is most interested in. Then, if I have a blank with a "mystery" power, or a product of the ""arms race," I could find the right line by finding my best-casting test mono/weighed section line then buying a line that has the same actual weighed section spec as my test. Right? There may be a better way to do this, but would application of the principals here result in being able to buy the right line the first time rather than guessing whether the line "weight rating" or rod "weight rating"are correct? It depends on the lines having their 30 feet specified correctly in actual weight/mass, not a "rating."

Rereading your post leads me to wonder if there is no way to find that actual 30 foot weight/mass of a line I'm considering.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 27, 2018 09:14PM

I have resorted to measuring and stripping the 1st 30' of a fly line into the pan that sits on top of a Diet Workshop electronic scale, then converting the weight in ounces into grains in order to get a ballpark figure for the line's "weight". [I have a peck basket nearly full of fly lines, most of them left over lines I tested for a line manufacturer] The difficulty of matching line to rod is compounded by the taper of the line: some extreme weight-forward lines pack 90% of the head weight in the first 23' of line, while other "triangle-taper" type lines stretch the weight of the head out to 40' or more. With line prices soaring to $100 or more we are well-served by test-casting the line on the rod it will be used with to see if it fits the rod and our casting stroke - before buying the line. If you belong to a fly-fishing club you can usually find members who will let you put their reel & line on your rod to test cast and see how it works for you.

Posted by: Mark D Schulte (107.77.111.---)
Date: February 27, 2018 09:46PM

Dang Phil. You have serious flyrod knowledge. It's all new to me. I'm going to learn my 6wt and build the 8wt. I remember when this guy bought tghe kit it was like 8 years ago

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster