I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji guide complete sets question.
Posted by: herb canter (70.40.107.---)
Date: February 26, 2018 09:30PM

Has anyone bought the guide complete sets and if so were they pretty accurate ? I am looking at the new Fuji KL-H sets for different length rods up to 8'6 feet . For the 8'6 length rod it comes with one 25 H, one 16 H , one 8M, one 5.5 L and a total of seven 5.5 M running guides .

It seems there is no cost savings when buying the set instead of individually but just wondering if the sizes seem right to people that have used them .

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji guide complete sets question.
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 26, 2018 09:38PM

Most vendors who offer guide sets have thought it out very well! On the other hand, they tend to be traditional, so if you want something else, pick and chose.

Date: February 26, 2018 10:43PM

I agree about their guide sets in the past but the KL-H guide sets are somewhat new so i was curious if the sizes sounded correct to people familiar with them thats all .

Thanks for the response

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2018 10:46PM

I personally would not use that set. If your 8’6” rod has a fast to moderate fast action I would use a three guide transition train. Depending your reel size and type of line you are using I would use either a 25H, 12H, 5.5M (or 6M) train or a 20H, 10H, 5.5M (or 6M) train. Followed by the runner size of your choice. If your rod is light power with a moderate action you might go with a 4 guide transition train. Check the Anglers Resource catalog for the various four transition guide setups to use based on the reel and type of line you will use. Based upon guide height grouping the 25H and 16H don’t group together; they are a height mismatch and I would not use them together.
Norm

Date: February 26, 2018 10:55PM

Thanks Norm , i wonder why Fuji would put together a set that doesn't match up well , you saved me from purchasing something that sounds like it won't be optimal , i appreciate the info .

The blank is actually 9 feet moderate fast action and the reel will be a 4000 size .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2018 10:57PM by herb canter.

Date: February 26, 2018 11:04PM

I feel confident that Fuji did not put the set together. In all probability it was done by Mudhole. I do not think Anglers Resource would let something like that go out, since it is not what Fuji recommends.
Norm

Date: February 26, 2018 11:22PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I feel confident that Fuji did not put the set
> together. In all probability it was done by
> Mudhole. I do not think Anglers Resource would let
> something like that go out, since it is not what
> Fuji recommends.
> Norm

Norm, you were dead on accurate as usual , i completely forgot about the GPS so i went and put in all the info and it came out with a 20H -10H and a 5.5 M as a three guide reduction train. Thank you so much my friend, i guess i can use the 5.5 M all the way out .

Date: February 26, 2018 11:22PM

Double post , my apologies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2018 11:23PM by herb canter.

Date: February 26, 2018 11:35PM

The 5.5M is used as your third transition guide, do not use them as runners. If you want size 5.5 runners use the KB/KTs. Two KBs for the first two runners followed by KTs to the tip. You can now actually get a Fuji LG tip top with a size 5.5 ring in the new corrosion control frames.
Norm

Date: February 26, 2018 11:49PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
> The 5.5M is used as your third transition guide,
> do not use them as runners. If you want size 5.5
> runners use the KB/KTs. Two KBs for the first two
> runners followed by KTs to the tip. You can now
> actually get a Fuji LG tip top with a size 5.5
> ring in the new corrosion control frames.
> Norm

The Fuji LG tops end in size 8 tube size so thats a no go , anyway thanks for all your help Norm .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2018 12:11AM by herb canter.

Date: February 27, 2018 07:39AM

I was assuming that your blank was a modern graphite salmon rod, but with tiptop tube size great than an 8 it must be a heavier duty SW or Muskie rod. If so a larger ringed tiptop would be ok, because you have fewer options with the larger tip diameter.

Norm

Date: February 27, 2018 11:15AM

Norman Miller Wrote:
> I was assuming that your blank was a modern
> graphite salmon rod, but with tiptop tube size
> great than an 8 it must be a heavier duty SW or
> Muskie rod. If so a larger ringed tiptop would be
> ok, because you have fewer options with the larger
> tip diameter.
>
> Norm

Yeah it's a size 9 top so i went with a Fuji MN top 9 tube size with an 8 size ring , i'm going with KT size 6 runners so the top maybe a little too large but an 8 size ring is as small as i like to go on inshore saltwater rods .

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.sub-174-193-138.myvzw.com)
Date: February 27, 2018 12:45PM

So I imagine you will be using a size 4000 or larger reel. So go with 25H, 12H, and 6M for reduction guides and 6KT. This will handle heavier line if needed without affecting performance with lighter line or a smaller reel.
Norm

Date: February 27, 2018 01:14PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
> So I imagine you will be using a size 4000 or
> larger reel. So go with 25H, 12H, and 6M for
> reduction guides and 6KT. This will handle heavier
> line if needed without affecting performance with
> lighter line or a smaller reel.
> Norm

OK thanks Norm.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 27, 2018 03:41PM

Good advise from Norm as usual. Mudhole assembled those groups and plans to offer more that will reflect the Rapid Choke theory and be more similar to what you have seen from us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2018 10:39AM by Jim Ising.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster