I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New build with Fuji Torzite guides
Posted by: Mark Danner (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 25, 2018 04:28AM

I am getting a new rod built on a United Composites UC 83H (10-25lb, 1/4 - 1 1/2 oz). It is going to be paired with a new Sustain FI 4k reel and 15lb braid. I am going overboard for the heck of it and want Fuji Torzite KL-H guides. From what I have read about the torzites is that I can drop down to 16, 8, 5.5 size guides and the ID should be similar to 20, 10, 5.5 SiC guides. Is that correct or should I stay with 20, 10, 5.5 even with the torzites? Also for the initial guide spacing I measured the reel and used the GPS software. It came out with the following: 16 (22.13"), 8 (30.43"), 5.5 (36.57") or 20 (18.54"), 10 (28.9"), 5.5 (36.57"). Do those sound like a good starting point for the guide spacing? The choke point is listed as 44.37".

Does anyone know where I can find the ID for Fuji guides so I can compare?

When I picked similar sized older Shimano reels that were already set up in the software the numbers were quite different. Has Shimano decreased their reels upsweep angle with newer reels?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New build with Fuji Torzite guides
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 25, 2018 05:58PM

the gps specs are suggested spacing not exact because of all the variables in different blanks.
as for the guides the torzite are suppose to be more slick than the sic hence the change in sizing will it work better possible the best thing you can do is use the gps as a starting point and follow final placement with load test to be accurate in the guide placement and ultimate rod performance
look here [www.mudhole.com] scroll down on the page toward the bottom

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 25, 2018 06:08PM

I would not change the guide size because one guide is more slick than another guide.

I choose a guide of a particular size to allow the size of the line loops hitting the guide to be worked off better than with a different sized guide.

For that matter, pac bay minima guides with no rings in them at all have been on some of the best performing rods. Also, the pac bay minima guides are only a dollar or two per guide.

Good luck

Posted by: Jay McKnight (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: February 25, 2018 06:48PM

Torzite rings are thinner than the alconite and sic offerings. A size 16 torzite has an i.d. of .480, a size 16 sic is .420, and an alconite 16 is .435. I'm not a minima fan, but I must give credit where credit is due, as the size 16 minima 4 I measured has the largest i.d of all at .530. Now as far as size 20's are concerned, I don't have a size 20 torzite to measure but the size 20 sic is .550 i.d. and the size 20 alconite is .575.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.midsouth.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2018 08:22PM

The GPS you are using is best used for NGC setups not KR setups. Since you are doing a KR build use the KR GPS as your starting point. [anglersresource.net]
The Torzite guides do have a thinner ring, but not that thin! The thinness of the the Torzite ring is most noticible only in the smallest running guides.
A In my opinion a size 16 stripper is too small if you are using a 4000 size reel on a 8’3” rod. Could use either the 20H,10H, and 5.5M (or 6M), or the 25H, 12H, 5.5M (or 6M) KL stripper and transition guide options. If you think you will ever use heavier line I would move up to the size 25 stripper option. In either case I would place the stripper at about 21” in front of the spool. Use the KR GPS as a starting point, do a static test and test cast it and you can tweak from there. I would also use at least one more running guide than the KR GPS recommends.
Norm

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.drr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 25, 2018 10:03PM

Based on my experience, Size 16 KL-H strippers work great with braid 15 # test and below, any ring material, Stradic 4000 reel. According to the latest Rodmaker Magazine and everything I've read before, Rod length should have no effect on designing the reduction train. Look at the Anglers Resource catalog for their KL-H groups which are all dependent on line specs. Jim Ising put out note last July "KR ain't rocket science." I'll see if I can find it and link to it.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 25, 2018 10:16PM

On a 4000 sized reel, I commonly will use a size 30 tall guide for the stripper. One doesn't want nor need any line slap - no matter the line test or material on the first guide.

Good luck

Posted by: Mark Danner (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 26, 2018 03:50PM

Great info. Thanks everyone.

Posted by: Barry McGuire (---.dhcp.nwtn.ct.charter.com)
Date: March 05, 2018 06:53PM

The Angler's Resource (importer of Fuji components) has the stats and info you're looking for.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster