I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

need small tip tops
Posted by: howard hodges (---.owb.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 24, 2018 11:51AM

Anybody know where I can find a chrome frame, either alconite or black ceramic ring tip top, ring size 3.5 tube size 4.0 and ring size 3.5 tube size 4.5?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: need small tip tops
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 24, 2018 12:57PM

most would use a single foot guide for something that small and just wrap it on the tip and finish it like all the rest of the guides in the guide train

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Raymond Faus (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2018 01:25PM

I’m with you on that. My Diawa Spinmatics have tips that’ are harder to find than Bigfoot. They’re a 4.6mm OD ring size.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2018 01:26PM by Raymond Faus.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.s2807.c3-0.drf-ubr1.atw-drf.pa.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: February 24, 2018 03:33PM

Howard, update your email address and I’ll contact you offline.

Date: February 24, 2018 04:07PM

Thanks guys. Jeff I'm trying to figure out how to update. my email is 201doc@bellsouth.net

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: February 24, 2018 04:39PM

Minima MVT rod tip

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2018 06:10PM

Terry,
No one I know of makes ne smaller than a 4.0 ring, you see the tube gets in the way of the small ring as your blank tips get bigger. most blanks are bigger than you need and the market follows that need. The ring size we have now was a major design change to get the tips we have now. The MVT mentioned above has a designed in much higher offset for this reason and has been around for decades. Many don't like the change in height from an F style to the higher offset, but I don't think ir hurts anything, any more than the reduction guide train on a spinning rod hurts performance.

Date: February 24, 2018 06:50PM

Thanks Mr. Phipps. I looked at the minima's in Mudhole but did not think they would work. I got two top pieces of two piece rods with the tips broke. Owner says they came direct from Japan. Actually the 3.5 tube is a little big but I can make it work. I may need to use the minima's after all is said and done. I appreciate the info. I'm still waiting for Jeff to contact me, hoping he may have what I need.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 24, 2018 08:12PM

after you log in on the top you will see control center next to log out click on control center and make you changes to your information. hope that helps

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.midsouth.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2018 09:27PM

Fuji makes the LG tiptop with a 4 ring but the smallest tube is 4. Might be able to it work.
[www.mudhole.com]
Norm

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: February 25, 2018 05:09PM

No science to back it up but i find when using very small diameter braid line i get virtually no wrapping around the rod tip. I have gone to using them on all my personal crappierod builds.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.42.---)
Date: February 25, 2018 05:57PM

The original Fuji micro tops stopped at 3.9 and went smaller in tube size, maybe they can help you at their site to the left.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 25, 2018 06:49PM

I never get too concerned about the tube size on tip tops as long as it is within reason.

It is very simple to do one or more thread wraps of the tip before putting on a tip top that is a bit over sized for a nice non slip fit. It also looks fine as well.

Also, I do not get too concerned if the tip top is a bit larger in size compared to the running guides since I find that I have less leader knot issues with the slightly larger in ring size tip tops if the matching size is not available.

Good luck

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 25, 2018 10:54PM

X10 for what Roger posted.

Take care,

Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2018 03:15AM by Chris Herrera.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2018 01:34PM

I just ordered and used two Fuji BFAT tips one with a 3.8 tube and another 4.0 tube from Fuji .

Posted by: Mitchell Martin (---.sub-174-255-39.myvzw.com)
Date: March 06, 2018 12:51PM

Ice blank tip tops from either janns netcraft or sportsmans direct have smaller tube and ring options.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster