I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

which Rodgeeks blank
Posted by: Don Baker (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 22, 2018 04:40AM

Interested in 2 builds. One for catfish in 5 - 20 lb. range and another for catfish over 20 lbs. Will be used drifting and dragging with circle hooks. Which Rodgeeks blank, can be either glass or composite, would work best?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: which Rodgeeks blank
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 22, 2018 06:57AM

Their SG line XH and XXH were designed for Catfish
THe XC line has been popular with a few catfishermen, but it's not advertised or promoted as such sonot a lot of people think about it. HEre is a convo I had with one or Rodgeeks bigger clients down in Texas, he was testing the XC 802 on Catfish.

> Built a couple of catfish rods on the 802. Working on several more and also have a XC803 I am going to build and try out. They handle big cats easily. I use them for drift fishing cats and casting. They cast extremely well.

ME: There is so much power in teh back end of the blank, that long straight section looks funny, but it is what gives these rods so much power with so little weight - and they are durable. How heavy sinker weights were you fishing the 2?

> I have only used 4oz so far with a big gizzard shad head. It handled it with ease. I'm sure the 803 will probably be the heaviest one the market down here will need. I love the looks also and so do my clients.

Date: February 23, 2018 09:30AM

I normally drift with 2 oz and bait on Kansas lakes. I have a friend that fishes the Missouri River and will use 6 - 8 oz and bait. Will the 803 handle this and 50 lb+ fish? Thanks for the reply.

Date: February 28, 2018 12:22AM

20z might be on the light side for the 803, but 6-8oz and 50# fish are no problem at all for that blank

Posted by: David Miller (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: March 01, 2018 12:02PM

What length do you need/ want ?

I bought a XC 730 blank at the expo. Billy had a built up one there and let me pull on it with him holding the line to show the power. It can handle 20lb fish no problem with the backbone it has.Might want to go to the 731 to handle the 2 oz sinker plus bait though. Billy also had another 730 rod of his that he trimmed 1 inch from the tip that would probably handle 2 oz fine.

If you like a longer length and moderate action the SG blanks are great. Check out the 50lb plus flathead caught on a SG79HM on their Facebook page. Don’t know what kind of conditions ie. structure or current but it is still impressive catch.

Date: March 01, 2018 05:02PM

DAvid - that as you with your 2 kids on Sunday, right? I have a great photo of us sitting on the floor together with the rack of rods and the Swedish Fish 730. There are now 8' XC blanks, they are more moderate than their 7'3 cousins. Only 802 to 806, but we're working on 800 and 801s too. I have teh SG's too, they are a different blank than the XC's, but they have a lot of power when you need it, even though it doesn't feel that way when you bend them.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2018 01:11AM

Yeah Billy, I just saw the photo on your Nerbs Facebook page and liked it. Glad to talk to you with my boys before my oldest had a lack of nap meltdown which meant it was time to go. I wish I spent more time on Saturday at your booth and flexing the 8’ XC blanks. I fish mainly from kayak, pier and some bank so the 7 to 7’3” rods suit me well. I think the 730 will be very versatile. I think I am going to trim off the butt some maybe down to 7 and use it with a Carolina rigged treble hook loaded with good smelling punch bait for channel cats that can get over 10lbs and put up a good fight. Also casting spoons and topwaters to smaller stripers and good size red drum.

Date: March 02, 2018 09:00AM

My main rod box on my Lund only holds 7' rods if I trim the 7'3" to 7' will I need to move up a power? The 8's will be no problem where I store them,only the 7'3"s. I like to use both length' s depending on the situation.

Posted by: David Miller (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: March 02, 2018 03:16PM

Hopefully Billy will correct me if I am wrong, I think cutting off 3 inches off the but of one of the 7’3” XCs wouldn’t change the power at all or too little to even notice.They have very little taper from at least 2 feet of the butt which is a great design to being able to trim and I think it makes installing the grip and reel easier.

Date: March 02, 2018 03:41PM

DAvid is correct. Teh XC's have a 32" straight taper at the butt of the rod, so cutting 3" wouldn't change anything powerwise. This is true of most blanks though, 3" n a 7' blank really isnt' significant.

It was nicce meeting you and your kids Dave!! I had 8' rods there but not on display. If you have questions just ask me, I'll tell you exactly what the blanks can be used for. If you like one of the XC models, most people like them all.

Posted by: Fernando Arellano (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 05, 2018 01:33AM

Don I own a xc732 that I use for saltwater fishing for tautog, for your 5-20lb you can use the 732 or the 802, for anything over 40lbs I would use the 733 or the 803. With 2oz-4oz sinkers use the 732 or 802.

Date: March 05, 2018 01:42AM

I forgot to mention that I'm familiar with catfishing, when I lived in Illinois I fished for cats.

Date: March 05, 2018 06:01AM

Thanks for chiming in Fernanado. It's nice to see builders and fishermen using and recommending the XC's. A lot went into designing these and it's a good feeling knowing people like them. Out of curiousity, where did you hear about them, and where do you go Blakfishing? I see your IP is in NEwark so I assume you go out of Belmar or South NJ?

Date: March 05, 2018 10:31AM

Thanks everyone, certainly appreciate the input. Will give these blanks a try, like products designed by fishermen.

Date: March 13, 2018 03:52AM

Billy I'm from Perth Amboy, I fish for blackfish mainly out point pleasant or belmar, also atlantic highlands. I heard of the xc on one the boats in pt pleasant and a fellow rod builder, then I went to see the blank and I liked it. I'm getting ready to buy 3 more.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster