I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

number of guides on a FLY rod ??
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: February 21, 2018 10:26PM

I have built a few fly rods ., the question I have is the number of guides on the rod ??? when I started out building a few years back you took the length in FT an added one more
guide an that was the number you used ? now a friend tells me I use the blank in ft an that is the number of guides you use , I have looked around for info an found no help ,
can some one point me in the direction I need to go for the info ??? THANKS FOR YOUR HELP IF I FORGET TO

William Sidney
AK

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: number of guides on a FLY rod ??
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 21, 2018 10:49PM

You need to use what you need to use to provide adequate stress distribution for the blank. All these formulas are just general guidelines to get you in the ballpark.

Using the number of feet, plus one, is usually enough to do an adequate job fairly easily. Using a number equal to feet in length, but no more, may be enough if you're really careful with spacing.

String up both set-ups, run a line and test flex the rod. See what looks best to you.

Date: February 22, 2018 12:46AM

thanks Tom, I just wanted to know

William Sidney
AK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2018 12:48AM by Bill Sidney.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 22, 2018 08:09AM

Bill,
You only have to be concerned with 4 things.
1. Supporting the blank properly - which 9 or 10 guides on a 9'0" fly rod will do.
2. Friction.
3. Weight
4. Line wrapping around blank

There is friction between guide and line and there is friction between blank and line. And line wrap creates the worst friction.

Excess component weight kills the responsiveness of the blank.

I built on a fast/ extra fast action Affinity-X #8 CTS blank with 12 guides. But they were all "footed" guides. Besides the #20 Fuji Titanium framed SiC stripper I used all REC Recoil single foot spinning guides (RSPSG). The rod casted as well, if not better, as the same blank built conventionally.

I just built 3 new rods on a Prototype CTS blank that I developed using the #20 Fuji, #16, #12, #10 RSPG's to prevent line wrap where it usually happens and then #4 REC s/f recoils the rest of the way. Total 10 guides.

So far my tests went very well.
Just something to think about
Herb
U.S. Distrib. CTS rod blanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2018 07:57AM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 22, 2018 08:34AM

I have been satisfied with the spacing suggestions in the Mudhole Catalog.

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.11.17.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 22, 2018 09:10AM

Bill,

I'm in the process of making two fly rods right now and am exactly where you are. My formula is rod length + 1 and then I temporarily place them on the rod. Next i do the load test and make spacing adjustments as need. Following this I do some test casting to see how things flow. Sometimes on the longer rods I have a friend do the casting and I watch for impairments and make any further adjustments as needed. Fly rods have not been a big problem using this method and I have yet to have anyone complain about the casting or fish fighting characteristics. Good luck, I know your fishing season is almost here.

Mark

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 22, 2018 08:28PM

The Mudhole folks develop the rod blanks, put guides, reel seats and handles on them, test them, and react to the comments and suggestions of many thousands of customers. I trust this source of testing the best guide placements.

Date: February 22, 2018 09:58PM

Thanks for all the comments on my question

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 23, 2018 07:58AM

Just edited my post above - corrected size of REC Recoils to #4. Sorry
Herb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster