I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

old Spoonplugger rod problem
Posted by: Neil Toland (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: February 21, 2018 12:49PM

Noticed one of my trolling rods has a loose part that I'm not sure how to fix. Rod is a bait casting rod with the old chuck style attachment between handle and rod. The metal piece glued (?) to the rod that inserts into the handle's chuck is somewhat loose - I can move it just enough that it's noticable,

Question is, is that metal piece glued in? Thinking I could heat it up and pull it out then re-glue it? Just not familiar with how these rods were assembled and really don't want to wreck it.

Picture of part in question is posted in the MISC section.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2018 01:41PM by Neil Toland.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: old Spoonplugger rod problem
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 21, 2018 01:23PM

is it a hollow glass rod or solid blank ?? does the loose piece have a punch mark on it ??
if it has a punch mark you can tale a tinny drill and drill that out and the piece should slip off then you could just clean it up a bit and epoxy it back in place this is just a guess as the info you gave is a little shy on details if you could post a pic or 2 in the photo section of the forum it would be a big help

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Date: February 21, 2018 01:44PM

Solid Glass blank, see no punch mark on the ferrule.

Date: February 21, 2018 02:33PM

apply light heat and see if you can get it it slip off be careful with the heat as you can destroy the blank can you see any lines comming from where the ferrule meets the blank if so the blank might be fractured all ready

Wi.

Date: February 21, 2018 02:44PM

just looked at the picture and it looks as the ferrule spigot is bent telling me that it is aluminum and more than likely it stretched and the bond was broken you can clamp the spigot end in a vice and lightly heat up the ferrule part and pull for all your worth and it should come off and then just re epoxy it and hope the spigot doesn't break off because that is an old not made any longer ferrule from feather weight

Wi.

Date: February 21, 2018 05:36PM

that was my thought to begin with. May have to attempt it but do not want to foul up this blank.

That bend on the spigot end you mention - I wondered if that was a factory bend since it's in line with the guides and handle. Or, could be from 40 odd years of pulling spoon plugs?

Anyway, appreciate your suggestion

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: February 21, 2018 05:57PM

Look carefully at the ferrule once it is off.
It may be damaged.
If you need a new one, give me a holler.
Will need to know the OD of the blank.
I have a few left from back in the day.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Date: February 21, 2018 06:07PM

sent you a hush mail and Ron would be the guy to come through for you a bit larger would work just a little of fitting to make it seat I covered that in the pm

Wi.

Date: February 21, 2018 07:09PM

Thanks Ron,
I'll attempt to remove it tomorrow. Let you know how it goes, and, what size it is if it should be replaced.

Wish me luck!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster