I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Vertical jigging rod for walleye
Posted by: Jim Kosinski (---.mycingular.net)
Date: February 20, 2018 07:31PM

First time rod builder here,

I'm planning on building a rod for spring walleye run on the Detroit river, my choice of blank has been narrowed down the MHX Mag xf 6'3" mhxf, i believe this blank should do well with the 3/4 and 1oz jigs and I will be cutting the blank down to 5'6", i need help choosing guides and what size to run, this will be a spinning rod setup, right now I'm looking at the Fuji KL spinning kit but honestly I don't know what im looking at, any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks, Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vertical jigging rod for walleye
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2018 09:36PM

Jim,
Good choice.
Since you are going to be doing spring fishing and since this is a short rod, I would make the guides no smaller than #6. A bit larger guide just makes things so much simpler.

I would use a size 20, 16, 10, and a couple of #6s to the tip with a size 6 tip. Easy and simple.

You don't need to use expensive guides and little to be gained by going to an expensive guide.

If you don't need a ringed guide, the Pac Bay mimia would work fine and be very inexpensive.

Otherwise you could go to any of the manufacturers less expensive ringed guide and be just as well off.

With a 5'6" blank, I would likely go with a 6-7 inch rear grip with no fore grip. I would use the size 17 american tackle Aero grip for good all day long comfort.

Enjoy the bite.

Be safe

Date: February 20, 2018 09:45PM

Thanks Roger, the blank above listed is out of stock but a similar is, slightly larger butt and tip but i don't think this will hurt or affect me since I'm looking to handle heavy tackle, opinions?

Date: February 20, 2018 10:41PM

What size tip is the new blank going to have.

The sensitivity of a jigging rod is all about the rod tip and the top 2-4 inches of the rod.

So, if you trim a longer blank to get your 5' 6" blank, please trim ONLY from the butt of the rod. DO NOT trim any thing from the tip of the rod if you still want a decent jig rod.

Working a heavy jig over the side of a boat that does not have a wide gunnel makes a lot of sense to use a shorter 5'6" rod since there will be a shorter lever action and thus easier to jig for 10-20 hours a day.

Remember, often, jigging at midnight is often the best time to catch fish.

Good luck

Date: February 20, 2018 10:42PM

What size tip is the new blank going to have.

The sensitivity of a jigging rod is all about the rod tip and the top 2-4 inches of the rod.

So, if you trim a longer blank to get your 5' 6" blank, please trim ONLY from the butt of the rod. DO NOT trim any thing from the tip of the rod if you still want a decent jig rod.

Working a heavy jig over the side of a boat that does not have a wide gunnel makes a lot of sense to use a shorter 5'6" rod since there will be a shorter lever action and thus easier to jig for 10-20 hours a day.

Remember, often, jigging at midnight is often the best time to catch fish.

Good luck

Date: February 20, 2018 10:43PM

The tip goes from 4.5 to a 5mm tip

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 21, 2018 05:51AM

Lots of Good Blanks out there, If your a Detroiter or live downriver, I would go to Jann's were ya can touch and check them out, And you can get all your bits and pcs their as well!! And get some input from the experts, It's not that far of a drive. Cheers Jaa [www.jannsnetcraft.com]

Posted by: Brad Potter (---.fws.gov)
Date: February 21, 2018 09:11AM

Another blank to consider would be an Rainshadow Immortal IMMWS62MXF. While the weight rating doesn't go up to 1oz it handles a 1oz jig just fine in a vertical jigging situation. I wouldn't cut it though.

How do you like to hold the rod? Do you like to hold in front of the reel or have the reel stem between your fingers? When vertical jigging I hold in front of the reel. I use the FUJI VSS real seat in a down locking position using a SKS hidden thread hood with a short fore grip. There are no spinning reel seat threads to get in the way and I can hold in front of the reel and touch the blank if I desire.

Even though you are not casting, I'd setup the guides using the KR Concept to keep it light...FUJI KLH or PacBay Minima will work. See here [anglersresource.net] for advice on guide sizes and setting up a KR Concept build.

Above is what I use jigging the D, Sag River, and the Lake Erie reefs.

Posted by: Jim Kosinski (---.detr.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 21, 2018 02:05PM

That is my normal, most comfortable to me way of holding the rod while jigging, using a different medium action before i had a tough time feeling bottom, as In the tip was already flexed enough I lost my feel, i see alot of guys talking about this rainshadow blank though

Posted by: Brad Potter (---.fws.gov)
Date: February 21, 2018 02:58PM

The Immortal is a very light weight and sensitive blank. It will load up a bit with 1oz. but not too much in my opinion (I also rarely fish 1oz...mostly 3/4 oz and under). If too much flex is a concern the MHX blank appears to be slightly "beefier"...not by much though. I've been very impressed with all the MHX blanks I've built on and use them often.

I'd like to try a Rod Geeks C460MHF to see how it'd stack up. It's a fast instead of extra fast action but seems to check the other boxes.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 22, 2018 06:52PM

Admittedly I have extremely limited experience vertical jigging. I've vertical jigged 1/2 oz and 3/4 oz blade baits for smallmouth, but that's it. With that said, the specs for the MHX MB753XF (if that's the blank being considered) sure seem under powered for the type of weights being talked about.

That, and surprisingly to me, there has been no mention of the power loss that is going to accompany taking 9" off that blank. My guess is that it is going to be VERY substantial. With the weights being talked about, I'd be looking for a much more substantial blank. Something with a 3/8 - 1 oz weight rating. It just seems that the blanks mentioned don't have the guts in the upper third to handle those kind of weight. Hate to see you build a rod that isn't going to work for the purpose you intend it to.

But ..... like I said........ vertical jigging is something I rarely do.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2018 07:48PM

I have two 5 1/2 ft. Lamiglas Certified Pro. jigging blank rated 1/4 to 1 oz.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.clv.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 02, 2018 05:56PM

Hey Jim, Curios what you blank you ended up Narrowing it down to?? Tight Lines Jaa

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster