I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

9’ 4wt fly rod - MHX vs. Rodgeeks blank?
Posted by: Andrew Olson (170.2.52.---)
Date: February 20, 2018 03:44PM

Looking for decent blank for my first rod build. Looking at either an MHX or Rodgeeks blank. Most of my fishing has been dry flies on lakes and reservoirs fishing for stocked rainbow trout out of a kayak. I’m hoping to do some wading and stream fishing this season as well. Most likely both opportunities will target fish in the 9-15” range.

With only a couple of seasons worth of fly fishing under my belt I may not be skilled to notice the difference, but I’m wondering if anyone has any practical head to head experience with these blanks?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 9’ 4wt fly rod - MHX vs. Rodgeeks blank?
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 20, 2018 05:46PM

They are both fine blanks, My preference is the MHX, due to it's action! I also find Mudhole excellent to deal with and they can supply all the additional items you will need to complete the build.

An MHX 5wt is my "go-to" rod for most of my trout fishing.

Posted by: Robert Tanner (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 20, 2018 06:52PM

Call Mud Hole and ask to talk to some one that does a lot of fly fishing , they have some body to help you.

Posted by: Robert Tanner (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 20, 2018 06:52PM

Call Mud Hole and ask to talk to some one that does a lot of fly fishing , they have some body to help you.

Posted by: Andrew Olson (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2018 11:35PM

Phil Erickson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They are both fine blanks, My preference is the
> MHX, due to it's action! I also find Mudhole
> excellent to deal with and they can supply all the
> additional items you will need to complete the
> build.
>
> An MHX 5wt is my "go-to" rod for most of my trout
> fishing.

Thanks for the feedback. Any experience with the Rodgeeks blank in a head to head comparison? I've heard good things about both but haven't been able to find anyone with a detailed comparison review.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 21, 2018 12:21AM

No, not head to head. My rod geeks are heavier weights. What are you looking for in a head to head?

Posted by: Andrew Olson (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2018 12:58AM

Phil Erickson Wrote:
> No, not head to head. My rod geeks are heavier
> weights. What are you looking for in a head to
> head?

I guess I'm just looking for an overall comparison of performance. As I mentioned I'm relatively new to fly fishing so my ability to distinguish one rod from the next may not be significant enough to justify my request, but I will likely hold on to this rod for a while since I'm building it for myself. Being a Wisconsin native I was somewhat intrigued by Rodgeeks connection to St. Croix and their design input but my loyalty apparently doesn't go deep enough for me to consider buying the genuine article...

Thanks!

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 21, 2018 08:52AM

Anglers with different levels of fly-casting proficiency usually prefer rods with different actions. If there is a fly-fishing club in your area the members are usually willing to let you try casting their rods to see which you prefer. Seek cooperation from a competent caster who has matched his line to his rod. All too often rods are rejected because they are matched with too heavy or too light a line.

Posted by: chris adams (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2018 09:41AM

The MHX 4wt gets my nod and I built one that was fished on the Davidson back in December by a guy who was new to the sport. He fished it with the Rio Mainstream 4wt as that line is a 1/2 weight heavier and he did very well with it. That trip was pretty much all indicator fishing with approx 10ft-12ft leaders down to 6x. I do not have any experience with the rodgeeks but there is just something I like about that MHX 9' 4wt. I also have the 8'6 4wt as well.

Date: February 21, 2018 09:41AM

The MHX 4wt gets my nod and I built one that was fished on the Davidson back in December by a guy who was new to the sport. He fished it with the Rio Mainstream 4wt as that line is a 1/2 weight heavier and he did very well with it. That trip was pretty much all indicator fishing with approx 10ft-12ft leaders down to 6x. I do not have any experience with the rodgeeks but there is just something I like about that MHX 9' 4wt. I also have the 8'6 4wt as well.

Posted by: Andrew Olson (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2018 09:37PM

chris adams Wrote:
> The MHX 4wt gets my nod and I built one that was
> fished on the Davidson back in December by a guy
> who was new to the sport. He fished it with the
> Rio Mainstream 4wt as that line is a 1/2 weight
> heavier and he did very well with it. That trip
> was pretty much all indicator fishing with approx
> 10ft-12ft leaders down to 6x. I do not have any
> experience with the rodgeeks but there is just
> something I like about that MHX 9' 4wt. I also
> have the 8'6 4wt as well.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Unfortunately due to my stubborn and anti-social nature, I'll probably just try the MHX and see how it goes (rather than reaching out to a fly-fishing club).

As for the guides, in order to keep things light and simple, I'm leaning towards the SF REC Recoil in size 1 for the running guides, and considering using an American Tackle single foot NIRLF-10 for the stripping guide. I like the idea of all single foot to keep the wrapping scheme consistent. Any concerns about using a low profile single foot stripper like this on a 4 wt? I had also considered using a single foot spinning guide but I'm not sure that the height off the blank is necessary and it would seem to be more vulnerable to getting caught or damaged.

Thoughts?

Date: February 27, 2018 10:13AM

Andrew,
I see no issue with using the NIRLF-10 as a stripper. In fact when measured side by side the NIRLF-10 is the exact same height as the NIRLC-10 so there is no difference. No need to use the spinning guide. Should be a good looking stick with a single foot stripper down to single foot wire runners.

Date: February 27, 2018 10:13AM

Andrew,
I see no issue with using the NIRLF-10 as a stripper. In fact when measured side by side the NIRLF-10 is the exact same height as the NIRLC-10 so there is no difference. No need to use the spinning guide. Should be a good looking stick with a single foot stripper down to single foot wire runners.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster