I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Surf rod build, completely lost
Posted by: Seth Johnson (---.williams.com)
Date: February 19, 2018 04:09PM

Hey guys,

I've built quite a few inshore casting and spinning rods using the KR concept. I'm wanting to build a casting surf rod, but don't have a clue where to start. I've done some digging but I'm not coming up with much. I have narrowed it down to two blanks and three reels. The blanks are St. Croix 3SRS120HMF2 and 4SRS120HMF2, and the reels are Penn Squall Star Drag SQL25N, Avet SX 5.3 MC, or an Avet MXL 5.8 MC.

My questions are:
Where do I even begin? How do I figure out where the reel seat goes, or do I even use a reel seat?
Should I just use heat shrink or an overwrap instead of a rear grip?
I keep seeing that the KR concept covers all rods up to 13' surf rods, but can I really just use a KW 10, KW 5.5, then 4.5s to the tip?

Lots of questions. Maybe just pointing me in the direction of some resources would be best, because I'm having no luck with my research. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Surf rod build, completely lost
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 19, 2018 04:30PM

sent you a pm via hushmail

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Date: February 19, 2018 04:33PM

Thanks Matthew, but there was only text in the email. No link or location in there.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 19, 2018 04:58PM

Have you looked at images of surf rods? Are there rods near you that you can look at? There are commercially made surf rods, have you looked at heir web sites?

Any of these should give you at least an indication of the rod layout.

Have you looked at images of surf rods? Are there rods near you that you can look at? There are commercially made surf rods, have you looked at heir web sites?

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 19, 2018 08:36PM

sent you another one

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 19, 2018 09:38PM

Best when form follows function. Will you be soaking bait or chucking plugs? Braid or mono? Trying to maximize distance, strength, or durability? Cold water or warm water? Clean water or gritty water?
Compromises in components and construction are necessary, but I believe even compromises should vary according to the environment(s) you expect your rod to most frequently encounter.

Posted by: Seth Johnson (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2018 10:14PM

Throwing weight and bait. Haven’t decided, but either all 30 lb mono or half braid and the top half mono. I’m not sure what I’m trying you maximize, honestly. Warm water. The first time I use it will be in Ft. Walton beach this summer, but after that it will be used in upper coast TX, so gritty?

Looking mostly to catch bull reds, not looking for a full grown shark rig

Posted by: David Miller (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: February 20, 2018 06:58AM

How much sinker weight do you typically use to hold bottom?

On my 11 ft St Croix Avid built as a spinner I have braid going to a 70lb shock leader. The typical rule is 10lbs of shock leader strength per 1oz of weight to cast for safety reasons.

I wouldn’t go any smaller than a 10mm running guide or tip top due to the shock leader knot and the grass/seaweed that gets stuck on the line.Your first guide closest to reel will probably be a 20mm for those casting reels.

For reel seat distance use the spacing on the St Croix site and then adjust it up or down to fit you. Glue the tip top on and hang some weights that intend to cast and see how it feels.

Date: February 20, 2018 08:02AM

5.5 oz typically, but up to 8 oz. I will be using half 65 lb braid and the top half will be 30 lb mono, so essentially I'll be casting mono. I will be using a leader with a swivel, so the only knot that might pass is the FG knot connecting the mono to the braid backer.

Checked out St. Croix's website (not sure why I didn't think to do that before). Looks like the reel seat on the 12' rod is ~27".

Here are my ideas so far
Winn Sphyrna Black End Cap, Fuji Tapered Rubber Cap, or CRB Vinyl Butt Cap
CRB Colored Heat Shrink Grip Material
Winn Rubber End Caps
Fuji DPSD20 OR DPSD22, not sure which
Winn Saltwater Trolling Cigar Grip 6" (no taper)

I still don't have a clue on the guides. 10 mm sounds really big to me for running guides. The picture of the Legend Surf at the top of the page shows two RV-H guides followed by KWs to the top. They look like maybe a size 7 to me.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2018 10:08AM

They might be 8mm in that pic but we don’t know what model it is. There is a big difference between a 1-4oz rod and a 2-8oz, also the intended usage such as lure fishing using thin braid going to a short fluorocarbon leader where the connection knot during casting is outside of the tip top vs casting bait using a 7 oz sinker connected to a long 70lb shock leader where the connection knot is under at least 3 turns on the reel during casting.

Also talking about differences there is a big difference betrween the Avid and Legend 12 ft blanks in their casting range. With the weight your casting I would recommend the Avid. My 3-8 oz Avid for me cast the best with 5oz so about in the middle of it’s range. 7 and bait is really pushing it. For the 2-8 oz Legend my guess is that it is probably ideal for 4oz and bait.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 20, 2018 10:19AM

The RV-Hs would be used for spinning rods not casting rods. For casting rods could use the new LRV guides or KW guides. Running guides are your choice, 10, 8, or 7 (single ft or double ft).
Norm

Date: February 20, 2018 10:23AM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The RV-Hs would be used for spinning rods not
> casting rods. For casting rods could use the new
> LRV guides or KW guides. Running guides are your
> choice, 10, 8, or 7 (single ft or double ft).
> Norm

Thanks Norm. Would a LRV 12, LRV 8, then KT 7s to the tip be a good place to start?

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 20, 2018 10:33AM

I have not built a surf rod in years, but I think think that would be a very good start. Hope you realize that the LRVs only come in titanium frames, thus are more expensive.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2018 11:06AM

Just for ideas, check out the selections on the catalog page. Built up rods ranging in price from $20-$500.

If you are only going to be using a rod once or twice a year, would it make more sense just to pick up an inexpensive completed rod to get the feel for surf fishing and to decide whether you want to put more into it than just a bit?

[www.tackledirect.com]

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2018 11:13AM

Your 30 lb line will eventually snap with the weight your casting. Then you will have a 5oz + piece of lead projectile going who knows what direction down the beach. I have heard that one went through someone radiator but at least that didn’t hit a person. I would use 20lb mono going to a 60 to 80lb shock leader depending on what weight is needed to hold bottom.

If you want to save a lot of money check out Rod Geeks surf blanks, they are St Croix materials, designs but made in Mexico. They have a 13ft that has an ideal casting range but not shipping right now due to Fed Ex placing overage charges on anything over 8 foot long.

Tommy Farmer of Carolina Cast Pro also has a 4-8 oz blank. He is a powerful competitive caster so his ratings are different than St Croix’s.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2018 07:36PM by David Miller.

Posted by: Chris E Linville (---.sub-174-194-6.myvzw.com)
Date: February 20, 2018 07:24PM

If you're going to use mono and a shock leader you will need to move up to 12mm running guides and tip. Built a 1569 used 16s as running guides I have no problem with 17# mono and 50# shock leader. Just built two CCP 13 3to6 & 12'6" 4to8 oz nice rods used 12s as running guides.

Posted by: Chris E Linville (---.sub-174-194-6.myvzw.com)
Date: February 20, 2018 07:25PM

If you're going to use mono and a shock leader you will need to move up to 12mm running guides and tip. Built a 1569 used 16s as running guides I have no problem with 17# mono and 50# shock leader. Just built two CCP 13 3to6 & 12'6" 4to8 oz nice rods used 12s as running guides.

Date: February 21, 2018 04:14PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just for ideas, check out the selections on the
> catalog page. Built up rods ranging in price from
> $20-$500.
>
> If you are only going to be using a rod once or
> twice a year, would it make more sense just to
> pick up an inexpensive completed rod to get the
> feel for surf fishing and to decide whether you
> want to put more into it than just a bit?
>
> [www.tackledirect.com]
> tml

I've thought about it, and I think realistically this makes the most sense. I have no business building something I fundamentally don't understand, so I will just buy some cheaper rods for now and build later if I get more into it.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster