I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Center Pin Float Rod For Kings
Posted by: Lance Conragan (---.dhcp.unas.mo.charter.com)
Date: February 19, 2018 04:08PM

Looking to build a center pin float rod for King salmon, will be used on my skiff in lower tidewater on my local Oregon coastal river, fish average #20 to #30, with the occasional bruiser over 35#.

Usually swing flies with 9 wt switch rods on incoming tide, however, when the tide slows up and kills the swing, a floated fly can work well. Fish are usually tagged anywhere from 30' to 60' from boat, rarely longer, often closer.

Usual practice is once hooked up, throw the anchor buoy over and follow the bigger fish until subdued. So thoughts are a 10'6 - 11', 10-20# or 10-25# should suffice as long as it has plenty of reserve butt power.

Currently considering Rainshadow RX-7 ISA 1266F 106' 10-25# (cannot find the ISA1265F 10-20# listed in catalog), and an MHX ST1355-MHX, 11' 10-20#.

Being my first build, would like to keep the blank cost reasonable, which both of the above are.

Opinions on these blanks, or other recommendations?

thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Center Pin Float Rod For Kings
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 19, 2018 04:57PM

Anglers work shop
SH112M2 11'2'' Mod-Fast M 2 10 - 20. 1/2 - 1 ½.
BADSS12642CG 10'6'' Moderate Fast MH 2 10 - 17. 3/8 - 1. 5 0.58 4.04 Medium heavy slide float rod/Med moocher 103.15
BADSS12642CG 10'6'' Moderate Fast MH 2 10 - 17. 3/8 - 1. 5 0.58 4.04 Medium heavy slide float rod/Med moocher 103.15

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: James Taylor (---.wavecable.com)
Date: February 19, 2018 05:58PM

From RainShadow Rod Blanks we recommend the RX8 XST1324 for a Center pin - [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

The ISA1265 was discontinued a few years ago.

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Date: February 21, 2018 12:22PM

any center pin fans with a opinion?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2018 07:24PM

Might still have an All Star BESH12642 still around, bought a bunch from Mr. Dears when the factory closed and went to off shore production. MH, 10-20 lb. line, 1/4 to 1 oz. lure weight.
You can find info on the All Star rods in the archives of some of the PNW fishing forums.

Date: February 22, 2018 06:57PM

Double post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2018 07:05PM by Spencer Phipps.

Date: February 22, 2018 07:03PM

Forgot to mention, who All Star was, they were a rod company out of Texas, had some popularity in the bass rod arena, and made one of my all time favorite fly rod blank lines in their Titanium series, the same graphite was also used in their high end bass blanks, and another of my favorites the Tops and Tails blanks were built on this material.
They made a Titanium series salmon/steelhead rod that I never tried, and never saw in blank form. The blanks I used were made from the same material as the Batson RX7 blanks. They are every bit as good as the RX7 blanks in the 10 1/2 ft. lengths.

Posted by: Chad N Wilson (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2018 12:36PM

I built a 10'6", 10-40 lb blank into a really nice pin rod for chinook. Hooked and landed a 35lb chrome fish this fall on it. Lots of fun to play tug of war with big chinook on the pin. Good luck!

Date: February 26, 2018 02:22PM

great info - what model blank did you use?

Lance

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster