I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Writing on a Blank
Posted by: Damon Taylor (123.255.14.---)
Date: February 19, 2018 12:39AM

Hi there -

I'm reasonably new to rod building - up to about 6 rods and counting. I have been asked to do a rod that is going to be presented to someone as a gift. As part of this I have been asked to do an inscription (essentially their name). Thankfully the company I buy my blanks from will do the actual writing on the blank (I am terribly at it!) but as I will then build the rod they wont be adding any epoxy to protect it.

So my question is - whats the best way to protect the writing once it's done. I am picking a couple of decrotive wraps either side of the writing and then add finish over the top of the lot? Are there any tips to this??

Cheers!

Damon
New Zealand

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Writing on a Blank
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2018 09:33AM

Damon,
I do this all of the time. When I do the writing, I use Acrylic ink with a nib and pen. After letting to dry for at least 30 minutes, I simply apply a coat of thread finish over the top.
However, caution - I do not do any brushing of finish over the top of the ink. I flow on a reasonable quantity of finish onto the blank in the area of the insscription and let it self level.

As the story goes in Cinderella - not too much, but not too little. Put on just the right amount so that as the finish levels and thins it will be just right.

As long as the finish does not flow a great deal and it does it pretty quickly - there is no issue with the finish affecting the writing. After that coat dries, along with the rest of the guide wraps, apply a 2nd or more coats if needed. You won't have to worry about any of the following coats - if any - to affect the finish.

p.s.
Some folks when the do an inscription, follow up with a spray - fix it - or sealer which keeps any following coats to affect the inscription. However, since I don't have issues with the method that I use, you will have to get information from someone else on what they might use for a fix it coat on top of the inscription.

p.p.s.
I don't care for my writing either. Fortunately, my wife is an artist and has beautify hand writing so does all of the inscriptions on the rods.

Good luck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2018 09:34AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 19, 2018 10:04AM

Finish epoxy over the writing will work. Use a thin coat and make sure it levels well. If you use too heavy a coat you may get a wavy finish. By far the best ink I have ever used for writining on a rod is Dr Ph Martins iridescent calligraphy ink. I use a nib pen and when dry you can overcoat with anything you want, including Permagloss. If needed, you can thin it with a few drops of alcohol to get better flow.
Norm

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 19, 2018 12:28PM

It's a good idea to find out what the company is using to do the writing, as some inks are more susceptible to bleed then others. In most cases, wrap epoxy will not effect the ink, but you can ask your supplier if they know.
Otherwise the advice above is very good.

Date: February 19, 2018 01:05PM

In addition to Phil's excellent comments, you might give the blank writer an extra piece of blank, so that before you do the finish work in your finished blank, you could test the process on a test blank to insure that your products, processes and procedures will work well on the final product.

Good luck

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.drr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 19, 2018 06:06PM

Test everything! What seems to work with another builder doesn't seem to work with everyone.

I have found nothing that will go smoothly through a nib AND be free from distortion when another finish is applied over it with a brush. What I do is to use India ink, then fix it with a spray of quick dry gloss or matte clear finish. The use of a spray doesn't distort the writing like a brush does. Then when that is dry, I can apply whatever I want, and it is fine.

Don't trust my solution until you test it.

Date: February 20, 2018 11:09AM

I agree with Michael on this procedure.

Although I apply finish with a brush, I do NOT put the brush over the inscription. Rather, I put the finish on the opposite side of the blank, and let the appropriate amount of finish flow over the inscription without brushing the finish. For me it works fine, but the idea of using a fixit spray is a good routine to insure excellence in your process.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster