I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread tensioners era for rod wrapping jig
Posted by: Taylor Nielson (---.68.88.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 17, 2018 01:36PM

Hey everyone! First I want to thank everyone for all of the great advice I've been getting from this forum. Hands down the most helpful forum I've been on.

So I'm building a rod wrapping jog and I'm looking for some input on thread tensioners. Right now I'm leaning simply towards screwing some kind of spring down against the thread spools. Maybe it's a ridiculous question but does anybody have a better option? I'm hoping this jig lasts my entire rod building "career" so I may as well build it up the bestt I can the first time around.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread tensioners era for rod wrapping jig
Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 17, 2018 04:40PM

I use these on 2 of my carriages

[www.anglersworkshop.com]

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2018 07:11PM

Taylor,
I use one of these "classic sewing machine style thread tensioners." [www.mudhole.com]

As long as the thread is not metallic thread, this device works very very well. I have used the same spring tensioner for wrapping many many many rods over the years.

This tensioner is essentially identical to the design that is used on every sewing machine, embroidery machine that is used to make millions of pieces of clothing every day. If it works for millions of sewing machines it can and does work very well for any non metallic thread.

A nice feature of this type of thread tensioner is that it takes only a couple of seconds to change a thread spool. Clip the thread, swap the spool, thread the thread through the guide and pull the thread into the tension disks.

I never do full thread wraps with metallic thread - trim bands only - so it is not a big deal.

I have used this same thread stand with tensioner for all of the years that I have wrapped rods and it works perfectly every day. The base is a block of nylon with the tension stand attached to it with a pair of right angle brackets.
The thread spool sits on a stainless rod and is routed through a guide up to the tension device. The nice thing about this type arrangement, is that when you snip a thread that you are wrapping, the tag end, is right in front of you to pick up to do the next wrap.

if a mistake is made, the wrapper is reverse, the rod backs up and tension is applied to pull the thread back through the tension device to keep the thread tight and off you go again.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

The rod building bench is a smooth laminate counter top and the nylon base of the thread stand slides easily along the bench top sliding against the back side of the wrapper base.

Be safe

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2018 10:13AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2018 07:58PM

I enjoy my @#$%& magnetic tensioner for hand wrapping, can't use one on a power wrapper.

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 17, 2018 10:59PM

I made a spring and washer tensioner and it works fine. It must be locked with double nuts or the tension will change.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 18, 2018 12:38AM

Why would a sponsor's product end up as gibberish? All American Guide's thread tensioner.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 18, 2018 10:31AM

Here is what Spencer is talking about. [www.allamericanrollerguides.com]
Norm

Posted by: Paul Darby (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: February 18, 2018 01:37PM

What part is not being understood?

Posted by: Taylor Nielson (---.68.88.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 18, 2018 03:22PM

Lots of awesome replies here. I think I'm going to play around with a few of these options and use whichever works best for me.

Spencer, your comments on metallic thread actually remind me of another question I have. I'm working on a build with copper trim bands and I'm finding that they leave a little white, frayed spot wherever I trim off the tag ends. I've played around with it some but can't quite get it as clean as I like. Any idea of what could be causing this? Or what is needed to fix it? I'm not using a tensioner to make the trim bands but I have noticed that even along unused lengths of the thread there are often little bits where the metallic wrapping has seperated from the white core underneath.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2018 03:24PM by Taylor Nielson.

Date: February 18, 2018 08:38PM

Have you tryed spinning the thread to check and see if its unwound letting the metal mylar become loose from the carrier thread underneath. This may allow the to stretch more and the mylar to simply slip and slide loosely about the carrier.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2018 09:54AM

Taylor,
For all of my thread trimming, I use a sharp micro point pair of Dr. Slicks fly tying scissors. [www.drslick.com]

By using scissors, I can get very close to the thread wraps without having to worry about putting a nick in any of the other threads.

Whenever I tie off a wrap, I like to have 6-10 wraps over the thread and I pull the tag end very tight and then snip it with the scissors right against the previous wraps.

I do the same thing for the trim bands. For both ends of the trim band,I also make sure that I have 6-10 wraps of the main thread over the tag ends of the metallic thread, then I hold it under tension and snip it clean next to the existing wraps.

But holding tight and trimming this way, I have no inner core, or the white thread showing after trimming. As a matter of fact, because of the tension that I hold on the thread when trimming there is little to no tag end showing above the previous wraps, because the tension tends to pull the tag end back under the previous wraps.

You will notice that I do 6-10 thread wraps over both ends of the trim bands. This means that I put a pull thread under the main wrap for each trim band that I am going to do so that I can pull each trim band tag end back under the main wraps individually.

I have tried pulling 2 or 3 tag ends back under the main wraps at the same time but most of the time, I find I have less than perfect results. So, I take the additional time required for a separate pull thread under the main wraps for each trim wrap that is being pulled back and the results on the finished product are fine.

For all of the trim bands, the bands are made by hand and the tension is made by my hand and not a separate tensioner.

Good luck

Date: March 19, 2018 12:45AM

How many spools do you load or keep on your devise at one time?

Date: March 19, 2018 01:21AM

How many spools do you load up at one time?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster