I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Color lock looking gummy on my blank
Posted by: Jeremy Hixson (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2018 10:27AM

So i ve started my first project, an older spinning rod that had damaged guides and much of the thread was unwrapping, I decided to paint the blank with a spray paint for plastic and it looks pretty good, I made a cross wrap and when I applied the u 40 color lock the threads look good but it seems bubbly and gummy on the blank. Should i have cleaned that part immediately with alcohol? What can I do now? Thx

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Color lock looking gummy on my blank
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 13, 2018 08:32AM

It sounds like the color lock is attacking the finish, most likely the finish you sprayed onto it. When attempting a process new to the builder, the builder should test it on a scrap blank piece before proceeding. Then, no surprises. Maybe someone has a good idea, but I think the only thing to do now is to strip that portion of the rod that will have the wrap and start over. But that doesn't fix the other areas that will be wrapped, like the guide areas. I think you need to strip the paint from the blank and start over.

I don't see an alcohol cleaning as being a solution, but if you do, try it on a scrap blank.

I know many on the forum have painted blanks, and hope that one with experience will chime in, but I think they use automotive spray paints successfully.

A blank with no paint but coated with a glossy rod finish like Permagloss or Lumiseal is very handsome, IMO. NOT WRAP EPOXY. It will stand up to CP, but as stated before, try it out so you know you can do it and it stands up to any subsequent process you plan for it.

Posted by: Jeremy Hixson (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2018 08:54AM

Thanks for the reply, what I ll will try is a fine coat of pro coat over the painted blank before anymore threading and see how that goes. I ll post the results for others

Date: February 13, 2018 10:30AM

just over the areas to be subjected to color lok. Pro Coat is wrap epoxy and will make the blank very heavy if you use it over the whole blank.

If you plan to coat the whole blank to isolate the paint from further processes, then put the paint onto some scrap blank, then use Permagloss or Lumiseal over it. If OK you can do the whole blank. But if you coat the whole blank with wrap epoxy you will be creating an even bigger mess than you now have. It is not suitable for that. I know. I've done it.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2018 12:13PM

The other option to use is the NOT use the color lock. Rather, do your wrapping and then apply your thread coating finish. Normally, the guide finish does not react to other paint or finish that is already on the rod.

You might just start over. i.e. take off the wraps, strip the rod and repaint. Let the paint cure for a month to be sure that it is well cured and then start wrapping again.

Or, you could strip the rod, use wet and dry for a final sanding with 600 grit paper, and then, clean it up very well and go ahead and do your wrapping on the unpainted blank. No finish on the blank, no finish to get gummy and bad during the wrapping process.

Good luck

Date: February 13, 2018 05:43PM

I interpreted his need for color lock was to make a "cross wrap," which I interpreted as being a weave, on the blank. While I agree that in many cases not using color lock (Color preservative = CP) is the right way to go, it does not allow one to get vibrant colors that are often wanted with weaves.

What needs to be done, if vibrant colors are wanted, AND a painted blank is wanted, is to find a solution that that meets both criteria. If that is what is wanted, then find a paint and CP combination that works. Most likely that will be auto paint, then the weave, then CP, then wrap epoxy. Tested before doing it on the blank.

If a glossy blank without paint is wanted, then Permaseal or Lumiseal over a stripped blank, then the weaves/wraps, then CP, then wrap epoxy should work. Tested before doing it on the blank.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster