I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Custom Build Pricing
Posted by: Ed Holloway (---.satx.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2018 04:57PM

I'm just getting started and have no idea how to price my work. I've only built for myself practicing techniques but have just received a request for 2 rods----Can someone shed some light on how to price a custom rod please!!

Thanks in Advance!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Custom Build Pricing
Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 05, 2018 06:39PM

We just talked about this. [rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 05, 2018 07:42PM

Ed
I have a feeling you will be getting a lot of response from your question.

I can only talk as a hobbyist. I build rods as a hobby, but somehow word gets out through friends and relatives, and I am asked to make a rod as a gift or other reason. I DO NOT advertise but I manage to make enough rods to earn enough to support and keep my hand in the hobby.

I make a bill of materials including an estimate for expendables and add 10%, the customer knows exactly what he is getting.
My labor charges is dependent on the urgency of the delivery. I generally average minimum wage or less.
I have never had any warranty issues but if any should arise I would deal with it in good faith, so I do not offer any formal warranty.
My rods are strictly bread and butter rods, no frills or thread art, just a fine fishing tool.

Sometimes I am too casual with my pricing but I grew up with the notion if BOTH parties walk away happy the transaction was a success.
As I said it is a hobby that sustains itself so I am not burdened with cash flow, profit margin or any of the other parameters necessary to earn a living.

I don't consider myself a pro but I do consider myself a competent craftsman.

John

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.lightspeed.irvnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 06, 2018 02:34AM

John,
All very well said. I particularly like the very last sentence!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Jay McKnight (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: February 06, 2018 05:56AM

John DeMartini Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ed
> I have a feeling you will be getting a lot of
> response from your question.
>
> I can only talk as a hobbyist. I build rods as a
> hobby, but somehow word gets out through friends
> and relatives, and I am asked to make a rod as a
> gift or other reason. I DO NOT advertise but I
> manage to make enough rods to earn enough to
> support and keep my hand in the hobby.
>
> I make a bill of materials including an estimate
> for expendables and add 10%, the customer knows
> exactly what he is getting.
> My labor charges is dependent on the urgency of
> the delivery. I generally average minimum wage or
> less.
> I have never had any warranty issues but if any
> should arise I would deal with it in good faith,
> so I do not offer any formal warranty.
> My rods are strictly bread and butter rods, no
> frills or thread art, just a fine fishing tool.
>
> Sometimes I am too casual with my pricing but I
> grew up with the notion if BOTH parties walk away
> happy the transaction was a success.
> As I said it is a hobby that sustains itself so I
> am not burdened with cash flow, profit margin or
> any of the other parameters necessary to earn a
> living.
>
> I don't consider myself a pro but I do consider
> myself a competent craftsman.
>
> John

Well said my friend.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2018 12:08PM

Ed,

I have been building rods for myself for over 30 years. I got requests from friends to build them a rod about 15 years ago. Being retired and love building rods, I started my business and wondered the same thing. What to charge for my rods. What I considered was the price of a comparable "store bought" rod. Obviously the manufactures are buying in much larger quantities, so it is very hard to beat their price. What I have found is a hard core fisherman will pay to get a rod to his liking. I have e resale number and get an average of 30 - 40% discount off of retail pricing on the components. To friends, I charge $50 labor and don't mark up the components. I know they can not buy a comparable rod at a store. I use quality components, static load every rod for guide count and spacing. Let the client chose the reel seat and blank based on his budget.

For a client that is not a friend, I charge the same $50 labor plus 10% on the components. On ocean rod requiring an under warp I charge $10 labor. Most of my builds are freshwater rods. I have to admit I do not make "minimum wages on building rods, but as mentioned I love to build rods. I do not warranty the components, just my labor. If a guide comes loose, I will replace it free of charge.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Raymond Faus (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 06, 2018 03:07PM

My long gone grandfather was like most of us...more hobbies than can be counted. Among his many crafts was leatherwork. He made very fine wallets with leather engravings of hunting dogs, pheasants, and trout. He gave them away as gifts, only to be repeatedly told to sell them at the general store in Hughesville PA. So...eventually he did. They sold fast and he’d end up with requests for more, so he raised the prices on them...thinking that it would slow down the demand. After all, he didn’t really want a full time leather wallet business. Low and behold, the exact opposite thing happened. The more he charged, the more people wanted them. It was in that finding that a lesson was learned. It’s the intrinsic nature of humans to want what is at a higher value.

Cover your costs and make sure you have enough profit to make more rods for yourself, as well as keep yourself stocked with basic materials & supplies that every fishing rod needs.

You don’t have to be like me. I run a fire suppression business for grease removal from commercial kitchen hoods. As such, I’m a savage capitalist.

-Raymond

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2018 03:14PM by Raymond Faus.

Posted by: Ed Holloway (---.satx.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2018 10:35AM

Thanks for all the advice!

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 07, 2018 07:01PM

It is good to also keep in mind the "perceived value" of a purchase! Price something too low and it may be perceived to be a cheap product, priced high and it may be perceived as a prestige purchase. Underlying it all, is the quality of the product. Once one builds up a reputation for quality, it is much easier to demand premium prices. Trying to compete with factory rods, leaves very little room for profit.

In my case, I build only fly rods, and for avid fly fishermen, here and in Europe, if my price is not acceptable, I pass on the sale.

Posted by: Jim Dill (---.mall.dyn.lusfiber.net.13.80.74.in-addr.arpa)
Date: February 07, 2018 08:15PM

I only build as a hobby and build for friends at component cost. Any more and it is a job and expectations mount. I have a job and only want to build as a hobby and when I want to do it. I do occasionally donate a rod build to CCA or a school @#$%&. I am not a master builder by any means but have turned down $750 for a rod build by a guy who paid $750 at a CCA @#$%& where he bought my build. The @#$%& rod included a cross wrap and logo weave on top. Hope that helps! Good luck!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster