I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CCS question
Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (---.sub-174-221-146.myvzw.com)
Date: February 02, 2018 10:26PM

I have my CCS setup ready to go, and I've read all the material about four times. I believe I get it, even though a fly rod is the last thing I will be building. I built one for a gjft and one for my brother. Won't likely build another for some time, so a lot of the numbers are having little meaning for me, except for comparison purposes, that is. Which is the real point of the system. Comparisons. I get that.

One set of numbers would be useful, and the equation given for those makes no sense at all. The one given in table C in the main article. It gives the following for calculating lure weight.
(1.5 X number of cents) - 20 = upper lure weight in grains
(0.8 X numbers of cents) - 20 = lower lure weight in grains

Point Blank gives this blank an ERN of 23.1.
Using the NFC chart in the library here, and ERN of 23.1 is 280 cents.
Plugging that number into the equations gives a lure weight range 0.466 ounces for the low end and 0.914 ounces for the upper end.
Not exactly what I would call a medium power rod, and is nowhere near Point Blanks rating of 1/8 - 5/8 ounces.

What am I doing wrong?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CCS question
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 02, 2018 11:05PM

There is no such thing as a "medium power" rod. Can you show me any reference for what constitutes a "medium power" rod? Can you show me what constitutes a "long"rod versus a "short" rod? These are the sort of subjective terms that the CCS sought to dispense with. What you call or think of as a "medium power" rod may be completely different from what someone else considers a "medium power" rod. But in the CCS, a rod with a ERN power of 9.0 will have the same power as another rod with an ERN of 9.0.

The equation for casting lure weight range you mention is something I came up with as a stopgap until Dr. Hanneman had more time to research tip power attributes for casting lure weight ranges. You can find that information in the Universal Rod Rating System which came a year or so later.

In the meantime, the CCS was intended to provide an objective and relative means of comparing action, power and speed. Not necessarily casting lure weight range, although you can do that with the URRS if you wish.

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (135.26.190.---)
Date: February 02, 2018 11:09PM

Thanks, Tom. I get it. The system is meant to provide a repeatable means to make measurements to be used for comparison purposes. Juat thought the equations would provide some usefull information.

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (135.26.190.---)
Date: February 02, 2018 11:32PM

Where do I find this Unversal Rod Rating System? I have a link to the chart from NFC, but has nothing about lure weights.

Date: February 03, 2018 07:11AM

It was in the magazine some time back. I thought it was on the common cents website but I'll have to poke around and try to find it.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 03, 2018 10:33AM

Hello Gary & Tom.

The article on URRS is in Vol-10 / Issue-4 / Pg.- 14.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (---.sub-174-221-141.myvzw.com)
Date: February 03, 2018 01:40PM

Tom, will Vol10, issue4 be available at the expo? If so, I will buy one there.

I think I should explain what I'm trying to do.

My brother wants a 7', 5wt, two-piece, fiberglass fly rod. I've only found a couple of examples, and they way too expensive for him. It was suggested to me to get an UL fiberglass blank intended to be a spinning rod. Sounded reasonable to me. The blank doesn't care what you build on it, right? Somebody else suggested a light power, and another suggested a ML. Well, nobody lists a fly line weight for a blank intended to be a spinning rod.

Using the lure weight equations was my attempt at a work around. Use the CCS numbers for a 5wt fly rod blank, calc the lure weight range, and use a blank with that rating. Simple, eh? Did not turn out to be so simple.

Date: February 03, 2018 01:52PM

Yes I should have some there.

There's another way to do it. Find a blank with an ERN of 5.5. With 30 feet of fly line past the tip, it should work well with a 5-weight fly line.

But... depending on whether he plants to fish short or long, the weight of that line will be different. So if he's going to be fishing small streams where he'll be casting shorter distances, you might set him up with a blank that has a power of maybe, ERN 4 or 4.5. A 5-weight line will then load the rod with less line out. If he's going for very long casts (which I doubt) then you might want to look at blank with a power or maybe 6.5 to 7 or so. That way the extra line out won't overload the rod.

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (---.sub-174-221-135.myvzw.com)
Date: February 04, 2018 12:17PM

Tom, that was the first thing I looked for. Finding a two piece glass blank with CCS data was what prompted me to try the work around using the lure weight calcs. I did not want to have to keep ordering blank until I found something suitable. I really have no use for a handful of two piece glass blanks.

I think I'm going to execute Plan B.

Date: February 04, 2018 03:03PM

If you want to use lure weight to convert to fly line weight, you don't need the CCS. Fly lines are weighed over their first 30 feet. Match that weight to the middle of the manufacturer's listed lure weight range of your blank. But again keep in mind that if your customer is casting short distances, you'll want a lighter blank for the same line weight, and if he's casting longer distances you may need a heavier, more powerful blank for the same line weight.

Conversely, if you have the CCS numbers, you don't need the lure weight figures. You can adjust ERN to match a fly line weight at some given distance.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster