I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

S-glass recommendation
Posted by: Jon Stevens (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: February 02, 2018 08:14PM

Rodgeek SG70MM VS St. Croix 1C72MM

Has anyone handled both of these blanks? The specs are very similar. I have a customer wanting me to build a s-glass crankbait spiral wrap rod. I have not handled either blank. I'm leaning towards the St. Croix simply because that's the rod he referenced but if I can get the same performance from the RG blank, I can give him color options and still stay well within his budget. Maybe even toy with carbon fiber grips. I am open ro other suggestions as well.

Thanks in advance.
Jon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2018 08:19PM by Jon Stevens.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: S-glass recommendation
Posted by: herb canter (70.40.102.---)
Date: February 02, 2018 08:33PM

The RG blanks do have virtually identical specs to many St. Croix blanks thats become obvious to me but what baffles me is there are huge price differences . If they really are so similar than the RG blanks are some of the best bargains to be found anywhere .

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2018 09:04PM

I own the older matt blue S glass 7 ft. St. Croix of that power, a very nice blank, still I think the MH is a more versatile choice much like it is in the graphite crankbait blanks.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 02, 2018 10:08PM

John, I have built close to twenty of the Rod Geeks crankbait S glass rods. Both MM and MH they are truly outstanding blanks. Zero defects, and one of the only rods I have sold that have brought back unsolicited praise from owners. Two tournament fisherman using the MH have stated that in a complete season the performance of that Rod is second to none. Neither lost a fish once hooked.

I have two myself, one med one med hvy, and can can honestly say the Rod Geeks is the way to go. BTW, it is manufactured in the St. Croix factory !!!!

Posted by: Ryan Cammack (---.sub-174-215-10.myvzw.com)
Date: February 02, 2018 11:03PM

I am brand new to rod building and have not built a complete rod as of yet but as any new thing I plan on doing, I first do a lot of research. I can tell you that Tom is correct as rodgeeks rods are built by St. Croix. Rodgeeks has a partnership with them to build there rods and they sell them directly from factory so there is no retail mark up. . I am planning on building three rods to start my new bass rod collection and I am definitely going with rodgeeks blanks. Good luck on deciding for your next build

Posted by: Jon Stevens (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: February 03, 2018 01:37AM

Thanks for the advice. I've built plenty of spinning rods on RG blanks. Sounds like now is the time to put a few RG casting rods under my belt.

Thanks,
Jon

Posted by: John Bonior (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 20, 2018 12:20AM

your butt diameter on the St Croix is basically double that of the Rod Geeks. Its .420 with a weight of 1.9oz for RG compared to .735 butt diameter with wt of 3.0 oz. I have been looking for what grip you would use for the st croix as that would be alot of reaming

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster