I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

build charges
Posted by: Lee Gilbertson (---.wecnq.com)
Date: February 01, 2018 09:54AM

Hey guys and gals. New to the forum. I am being asked to build numerous rods for a gentleman to give to his grandkids and have at the lake house for them. In the past 99% of my builds have been for personal use or friends and family. I have no idea what to charge the guy. What are some of you charging in general.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: build charges
Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 01, 2018 10:15AM

IMHO if the "kids" are not able to appreciate/use a custom rod I would advise the gentleman to buy off the rack rods. If there is really nothing special that meets specific fishing needs, save him some money. I have done this with several potential customers.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Date: February 01, 2018 10:32AM

We have talked about at I could this and he is adament about getting the kids custom rods. 1/2 dozen are teenagers and have their own rod/reel selections. He just wants to something special for all of them and definitely does not care about money. That being said I still do not want to rip him of on supplies/labor.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2018 12:34PM

Lee,
It is pretty simple. How much do you want to make per hour?

Take your hourly rate, multiply it by the number of hours required to do the job and that is your starting rate. Make modifications from there as needed.

p.s. If working for family and close friends, and you don't work too quickly,. you might work for 50 cents an hour. If you are working for deep pocketed strangers and work quickly, you might be working for $50- $100 per hour.

Your choice.

p.s.
I was just in for a dental checkup. The fix required for my teeth will require a single appointment of 1.5 hours. The estimate for the work is $750 So that works out to be an hourly rate for the Dental service of $500 per hour.

Good luck

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 01, 2018 01:09PM

If it is pretty casual, and it sounds like it, then I would do it for about $50 a rod + the cost of components +10%. If it sounds like it may be a bit more involved like special request stuff then $100 a rod + Components + 10%.. That's pretty simple and it keeps you in a good price range. Sometimes you gotta ask yourself; is this a hobby or a bushiness? I would compare it to a drug dealer that sells drugs so he can use drugs. In that business it's not such a good idea but in ours it can work. Sometimes doing something you love as a business turns it into work and you may love the work and sometimes it ruins it.

Date: February 01, 2018 01:48PM

Lance Schreckenbach Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If it is pretty casual, and it sounds like it,
> then I would do it for about $50 a rod + the cost
> of components +10%. If it sounds like it may be a
> bit more involved like special request stuff then
> $100 a rod + Components + 10%.. That's pretty
> simple and it keeps you in a good price range.
> Sometimes you gotta ask yourself; is this a hobby
> or a bushiness? I would compare it to a drug
> dealer that sells drugs so he can use drugs. In
> that business it's not such a good idea but in
> ours it can work. Sometimes doing something you
> love as a business turns it into work and you may
> love the work and sometimes it ruins it.
Thanks Lance. Everything that I have done up until now has just been the hobby. I normally just charge friends and family cost of materials. This gentleman came to me after seeing a few rods I did for a friend and inquired about it. I am not running a business but for a stranger I am going to get paid for the work. I like your math so I think I might go this route.

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2018 03:06PM

Just remember that rods can break and kids are more apt to break them. Might want to make sure you add plenty of money on the front end to take care of re-work for breakages issues. I surely would have a discussion about warranties, breakage and the cost incurred of re-working a rod, if you do not add anything on the front end.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 02, 2018 06:15AM

I strongly agree with Bob. Also, if I charged $50 + 10% I would be working for less than minimum wage. It would take a lot more than that to get me into the potential hassles with warranty/broken rods/etc. Don't forget, you need to be paying the excise tax, too.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 02, 2018 06:46PM

Look at it this way. How much would it cost grandpa if he took all His grand kids to McDonalds for lunch. The only thing left would be the toy from the Happy Meal.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Mike jakus (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: February 11, 2018 10:59PM

I started building rods as gifts for Christmas and Birthdays and of course for myself. Now I have people asking for rods for them selves and as gifts for others. After putting some thought into it, I decided I would build rods for others and would only charge them $40 over cost. ( I always add another $10-$20 for epoxy tape brushes and such ). I do not want to make a business of it but for every 2 or 3 rods I do, I make a little money that gives me the funds to pay for my rods. This is a very expensive hobby that I really enjoy doing and its nice to have someone else pay for the materials now and then. I have even built rods for material cost only just to keep building. I do not offer any warranty when I build a rod for someone else but I have repaired a couple of them that have come back snapped in half. I guess I have an addiction going on here...:)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster