I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need some advice on ssing light colored thread
Posted by: sam Ledbetter (---.cable.conwaycorp.net)
Date: January 31, 2018 06:24PM

I need some advice on how to improve the look of my thread work when using light colors, especially yellows and whites. On decorative wrapping I know about using a white under layer but it is when I get to the rod guides that I have issues. No matter how tight I try to wrap the thread together and burnish the bejesus out of the thread, the dark colors still bleed through. Since I am building freshwater rods, I have not done any under wrapping for the guides. I thought about painting the feet of the guides white but that would still leave the blank showing through. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Sam

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need some advice on ssing light colored thread
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 31, 2018 06:31PM

Until you get better at wrapping, use darker colors to wrap, and lighter for trim.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: January 31, 2018 06:41PM

maybe use a larger thread like B or C, even D..

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 31, 2018 07:21PM

It's probably not a lack of thread tension. Excess tension can be an issue. Packing would be my first thought. Are you packing every third of fourth turn? If not, give it a try.

Lighter pastels over dark guides or blanks are always an unforgiving challenge.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.jst.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: January 31, 2018 07:22PM

Sam
On some of my builds where I needed long white background areas to apply clear decals over I used a ncp / nocp thread and then applied 2 coats of cp over the thread. I also did a little test blank using different regular and ncp / nocp white threads, with and without cp applied (I was building on a gloss black Quickline blank). The best results I got was to use Fuji nocp (A) thread with 2 coats of chromaseal cp (and Threadmaster lite finish). This seemed work best for my particular needs.
Rog

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 01, 2018 10:49AM

This may or may not be of interest but a couple of years ago I was experimenting with our Ultra Poly and wanted to see what the thread looked like over a silver underwrap. I was in a hurry (as usual) so I ran to the auto parts store and grabbed a roll of silver 1/4-inch wide pinstriping material. Wrapped it on the blank (stuck real good), added one thin coat of finish then overwrapped with light Ultra Poly colors (pink, yellow, white). VERY strong color with no zebra effect and seems to have plenty of staying power after almost 3 years. File this in Tips and Tricks I suppose.

Posted by: sam Ledbetter (---.cable.conwaycorp.net)
Date: February 01, 2018 10:50AM

Thanks all for help

Sam

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster