I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Alignment Mark Methods
Posted by: Josh Coburn (136.2.1.---)
Date: January 31, 2018 09:16AM

Good day to all!

I'm hoping you guys will have some answers for me. I'm building a personal rod and want to put some alignment dots/marks on it. I'm wondering what methods you guys have for making the marks that can be applied straight to a blank and don't need to be overcoated with something. On a past build I used testors enamel paint, but the uncoated ones are almost gone now.

I've read about tinting both epoxy and permagloss and was wondering about trying that, without an overcoat. I can only find statements though about adding a couple drops of pigment to the finish, but no one says about how much finish they are adding it to.

Thanks for the help! This forum is one of my favorites!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alignment Mark Methods
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 31, 2018 10:00AM

I have made alignment dots with both epoxy and Permagloss. Basically, mix up a small batch of epoxy or pour out a small amount of Permagloss and add a drops of pigment until you get the right density of color. I use a tooth pick as my pigment dropper, and a little goes a long way. For the pigment you can use either the Mudhole marbling pigment, which is a life time supply, or Testors enamel, which comes in a small container. For the Testors let the pigment settle and remove the clear carrier. Once mixed, I dip the head of a small brad into the mix and use it for making the dots. Practice making your dots on a scrap blank. Once the dot is made do not rotate the blank. Both epoxy and Permagloss yield very durable dots, the Permagloss drys faster but has a short pot life. Hope this helps.
Norm

Posted by: Josh Coburn (136.2.1.---)
Date: January 31, 2018 10:09AM

Thanks Norm!

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 31, 2018 01:34PM

Hello Josh.

There are a load of way's to mark for alignment.
In RodMaker Magazine Vol.-6 / Issue-1 / Page-10 there is an article called "Ferrule Alignment Mark Methods" that shows you how to do a few of the thread methods and speaks of other methods, such as dots, lines and inlays.
In V-14 / I-4 / Pg.-22 there is an article called "Multi-Piece Alignment Marking Tool" that shows you how to make a "Quick, Easy and Accurate" marking tool that puts dots on your rod.
You can inlay Feathers stem to stem, or even pointed center cut craft sea shells with one side ground to fit the blank, which can be attached many different ways.

It goes on and on use your imagination.

Hope this helps.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster