I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Marbeling
Posted by: Jeff Mayfield (---.wm.com)
Date: January 30, 2018 11:14AM

Good Day Guys,

I am doing some marbling on a rod and am having a hard time with getting the marble area smooth. When the epoxy has dried it is lumpy from the different colors being added in different spots. The actual marble effect looks great but I was just wondering if I was to give it more coats of epoxy and then sand them will I get a smooth finish or will it mess up the marbling.

Thank you in advance for any advise.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Marbeling
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 30, 2018 04:38PM

Hello Jeff.

If you add some clear epoxy let it dry then sand it down level but don't hit the marble spots (Unless you want too) you can then hit it with a thin coat of clear, or even a thick coat of clear if your careful.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.99.91.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 01, 2018 09:01AM

I have flamed my marbling slightly, ensuring the bubbles get free. This also tends to slightly thin the entire area and it smooths out a little better. Be careful not to overdo it; one of my first experiments got a little thinner than I wanted and the whole thing blended together. Robert is right on with the second coat of epoxy. This too will smooth out a lot of the contrast.

Posted by: Jeff Mayfield (---.wm.com)
Date: February 01, 2018 06:29PM

Thanks Guys,

I did flame it maybe not enough though I will try another coat.

Posted by: Jeff Mayfield (---.dhcp.reno.nv.charter.com)
Date: February 03, 2018 01:08PM

Good morning. Mark and Robert

I took your advice and applied the additional coat of epoxy flamed it turned out smooth. I have a couple small spots of stickups from the the inlays that I will shave off and apply another coat of clear too. This is on a lamiglas fly rod that I did a black base coat with 3 different metallic blues as the marbling looks beautiful.

Thank you again for the advice.

Jeff

Date: February 03, 2018 01:26PM

Good morning Mark

I took your advice and added a second coat and flamed it other then a couple of stick ups from the thread inlays it came out smooth. I will shave the stick ups and apply another coat. This is on a lamiglas 8'6" flyrod and I applied a base o black epoxy with 3 different metallic blues as the marbling. Looks beautiful.

Jeff

Date: February 03, 2018 01:26PM

Good morning Mark

I took your advice and added a second coat and flamed it other then a couple of stick ups from the thread inlays it came out smooth. I will shave the stick ups and apply another coat. This is on a lamiglas 8'6" flyrod and I applied a base o black epoxy with 3 different metallic blues as the marbling. Looks beautiful.

Jeff

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster