I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

I Started a New Bulk Order with CTS
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 26, 2018 12:28PM

Hi All,
You're all welcome to contact me If anyone is interested in piggy-backing on my bulk order for purposes of avoiding the shipping charges from New Zealand.
BTW - CTS' delivery time has been much improved.
BTW #2 - Since I have been authorized, for some time now, to supply all rod blanks as opposed to only fly blanks, I have a new website - HNL rod blanks.com
hnlcustomflyrods.com will be phased out
Regards,
Herb
U.S. Distributor CTS blanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2018 12:32PM by Herb Ladenheim.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I Started a New Bulk Order with CTS
Posted by: Raymond Faus (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2018 03:00AM

Hi Herb,

I’m interested...
What I’m looking for may be a bit difficult. I’m looking for a 7’ or 7’,6” one piece fiberglass fly rod blank...or one piece fiberglass trout/panfish blank for ultralight trout fishing. I’m attempting to recreate my father’s Cabela kit rod from 1975. It being a one piece blank is critical to being able to cut it for featherlight Sizematic ferrules. Adding to the complexity...it needs to be solid honey yellow. It just so happens that Lamiglas has made some suitable blanks in the past, but no longer have them in production as blanks or for completed rods. To date, I’ve never been able to speak with someone at Lamiglas whom either is knowledgeable of any old stock they might have hidden...or has the ability to answer if they can lay up a blank for me. I’m not certain if these manufacturers destroy their mandrels after a production run. Back in the day, Fenwick made the kit rod blanks for Cabela’s, sold in bulk, un-decaled. However, I’m not looking to destroy a rare Fenwick blank. The fiberglass rod guys tend to get their asses puckered over that. Kind of like bluing collector shotguns. Luckily CTS offers a kaleidoscope of blank and color options. What I don’t know is if they can lay up a solid color for a blank they only offer in translucent colors...according to their website.

Check out my “Sizematic ferrules” post below yours, as well as the Lamiglas post.

Thanks,
Raymond

Date: January 27, 2018 03:03PM

Hey Ray.
When you say "solid" - do you mean through and through the layup. Or just not translucent?
I'll check with the factory when you get back to me.
Mandrels are not all that expensive - so that may not be a problem.
Also - I queried them about making some one piece graphite blanks for the N.E. coast striper fishery. The problem was the shipping restriction for a 9 footer.
Herb

Date: January 27, 2018 08:13PM

When I say solid I mean non-translucent.

Thanks Herb!

Date: January 28, 2018 12:53AM

Ray,
Your email is hidden.
For pricing purposes - what weight(s) fly rod do you require?
Herb

Date: January 28, 2018 12:26PM

raymondfaus@gmail.com

That’s an interesting question...
I haven’t thought about it in that way. I’ve only considered that it’s a blank that’ll be for trout/panfish, it’s length, and action. I’m spitballing here...but I’m guessing that it would be a 3 weight fly rod blank, 7’, and not be super stiff. It’s gonna used for casting trout lures and dunking baits. I can imagine that the Sizematic ferrules will affect the action, as well as the four or five casting guides that will be added to it. I’ll email you some pics and vid clip of the action on my father’s rod.That way you’ll be able to make an accurate selection. I must say, I really appreciate your effort to help me with this project. For me...it’s more about nostalgia and healing than it is about the practicality of the rod in today’s fishing world. My ultimate plan is to write about my journey to recreate this fishing rod. The rod itself, represents my lineage Faus’ and their rich history of trout fishing, tackle-craft, and rod building...which still has roots in rural Lycoming County, Pennsylvania.

Thanks again,
-Raymond

Date: January 28, 2018 12:31PM

Added:
In my Lamiglas post, I’ve been advised that a 3 or 4 weight might be too floppy. This makes me consider that the Sizematic ferrules would slow the action on something like a 6 weight blank.

Date: January 28, 2018 09:48PM

Ray,
I sent you an email re the video.
The CTS Glass 7'6" #3 fly rod is pretty stiff for a glass blank. The big difference between the "old" blanks and the newer blanks made with newer materials and technology - the new blanks have a much faster recovery rate making it difficult to mimic an old blank.
I once asked Chico Fernandez what he thought about me building an old Sage RPL fly blank that I acquired. He said - other than nostalgia - there is no reason to build it.
I understand what you are wishing to do - but finding a new blank to mimic what I saw in the video is difficult.
Also - the newer blanks may have a thinner profile and may not lend themselves to your ferrules. i.e. ferrules too large in diameter for blank

Date: January 28, 2018 11:12PM

Agreed. I’m probably gonna have to find an operation like McFarland or James Green type guy...with the ability to lay up a blank like my father’s. I thought it might be difficult for CTS. It’s all good. Thanks for taking tthe time to entertain my quest. When, not if...it happens, I’ll be sure to post the completed rod for everyone to see.

Posted by: Jared Taylor (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2018 10:38AM

Raymond, without having seen the rod I would say you are right on track contacting Mike or James. A couple of others that you might consider would be the Japanese makers of Ijuin-Rod and Kabuto Rods. Search the Fiberglass flyrodders forum and you might (just might) come across the exact rod or maybe someone with an old Lami blank. Chris Barclay’s rods would be another to consider but he almost never sells his blanks to the public.

Herb, sent an invoice to customer for deposit on the Affinity M. Will give you a call as soon as I get her money.

Date: January 29, 2018 05:19PM

Thanks Jared.
Ray
CTS will build a 1 piece blank in glass for you. But I have serious doubts if it will have the action you want to duplicate.

Herb

Date: January 30, 2018 01:07AM

Herb...
It means a lot to me that you’ve gone this far, looking into this. Regardless of the outcome, having been reassured that someone is willing to give it a go in laying up a blank for me...is awesome! I plan on recognizing everyone who’s assisted me with their experience, knowledge, and resources...once I’ve written about my journey.
I’ll be in touch in the near future about this blank. I just have to do some cash jobs that don’t appear in (our) bank account. As awesome as my wife is, her ass would pucker pretty hard if I just drained the bank for my hobbies and projects. That being said, I find the your CTS blank to be reasonably priced for the request I’m making...as well as the meaning behind the blank. You’ll be hearing from me in the near future!

Thanks Again,
-Raymond

Posted by: herb canter (70.40.88.---)
Date: January 30, 2018 02:00PM

Herb goes out of his way to help you in any way he can , he is a great guy to deal with and promptly returns calls and e mails . He is also exceptionally trustworthy and gets the best price for his customers, i cannot say the same for others i have dealt with in the past unfortunately.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2018 02:01PM by herb canter.

Date: January 30, 2018 05:56PM

Ray - Thanks.

Herb - thank you for your kind words.
I just sent you another email re the replacement section.
Regards,
Herb

Date: January 30, 2018 05:56PM

Ray - Thanks.

Herb - thank you for your kind words.
I just sent you another email re the replacement section.
Regards,
Herb

Date: February 01, 2018 12:51AM

Hi Herb,

I was able to remove the butt cap off my father’s rod and measure the butt of the blank. The butt diameter and tip size may assist CTS in selecting a mandrel, and therefore getting me closer to what I’m looking for. So long as the blank has a medium action, the wraps, ferrules, and finish...should slow the action down a bit. I’ve accepted that I most likely will never find that a one piece blank exactly like my father’s. Would those butt & tip specs help?

Date: February 01, 2018 07:57AM

Ray,
Yes - it would help to show the taper. Of course the modern materials will serve to modify the resulting blank.
Herb

Posted by: Mark B. Gonsalves (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2018 03:11PM

If you are desiring an exact match may I suggest sending your rod to CTS so they can physically see the taper and try their best to match the prototype. It costs money to ship to New Zealand but the outcome may be worth it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2018 03:57PM by Mark B. Gonsalves.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster