I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Saltwater Spinning Rod
Posted by: Bill Hall (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2018 05:37PM

I have been invited to go fishing with two friends in Key West Florida. I thought I would make each of them a saltwater spinning rod. I am considering either a St.Croix 2S70HF2 blank or a Mud-Hole L904-2 MHX blank. I have always been happy with St.Croix but know that the only way a person can get an MHX rod is for someone to make it for them. I just don't know about taking a chance with a MHX blank. Both are 2 piece rods for easy transporting. Price is not an issue. I need help making a decision. Thanks, Bill Hall

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Saltwater Spinning Rod
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 25, 2018 05:52PM

Well, when faced with such a situation, you take a quarter, heads is MHX and tails . . .

Seriously, both are real contenders, and both have their advocates. I'd be tempted to be driven by price as I've had good results with MHX.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2018 06:39PM

Being it's a live bait blank the MHX may have a faster tip the the St. Croix, live bait rods usually do.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 25, 2018 08:24PM

I suspect you could get a decal from any reputable spin rod blank manufacturer and put it on a rod blank from any other quality manufacturer - and never be caught.

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.99.91.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 29, 2018 11:03AM

Both are excellent choices.

Posted by: Seth Johnson (---.williams.com)
Date: January 29, 2018 03:34PM

What made you decide to go Heavy Fast? Just curious.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2018 07:24PM

Would help to know what you are looking to catch and how you will fish for it.

Love the St. Croix for general purpose in those waters. Would advise the inshore/salt water blanks though, ie 2SW70XX. I think the upgrade to the 3SW70XX is worth it but they won’t handle as much abuse. Only drawback is those blanks are a little stiff in the tip for fragile live baits. For that, and trolling, best go with a live bait blank. They will fish top and bottom of line rating well. Works great with one spool filled with mono and one with braid. IMHO they are worth the premium price and will put more fish in the cooler.

Provided your friends treat their rods with reasonable care they should be ecstatic to receive a nice 3SW70XX. I have caught everything from snapper and grouper, to kingfish and wahoo, to dolphin and tuna on mine. Personally I’d go one piece......mostly because the guys down there are old school and prejudice against 2/3 piece rods.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster